white of egg came out then yolk ? help!

Ducker123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
GB
right i think i have a problem and wonder if any one could help, i have indian runner ducks and one of the girls lays an egg everyday, today she layed it and i collected it at around 4pm witch was later than normal as they are normally there at about 7am, when i collected the egg there was alot of jelly around the area which i presume is the white of the egg then i watched her from a while and a yolk came out on its own, i have had them lay eggs before that just had no shell but still had the membrane? but this time there wasnt even a membrane. is it something to worry about or had she just layed an egg that wasnt developed?

Quote:
Do you offer oyster shell for calcium? I know chickens can lay eggs like this and it can mean a problem and then again doesn't mean a problem just a glitch in the egg production, I would up her calcium intake just to be sure she is getting enough and keep an eye on her next time to lay. If she continues to do this, then of course you'll know something isn't right. Do you feed laying mash? Hopefully it's just a glitch and it will work itself out. How old is she?

i dont offer oyster shells as i have in the past and they didnt seem interested? she didnt lay an egg this morning, i dont know weather it is relevent but she is molting and the eggs that she has been producing over the past week or so have been smaller than usual? i do feed her laying mash and she is about 1 and a half and has been laying normally since around last october with a small brake through the winter, thank you.

Get them some oyster shell again. Mine don't chow down on it, but I can tell when the dish needs to be refreshed - I get soft eggs again. They won't eat a lot, but they will eat it as they need it.
You can also look up some higher calcium veggies that are good for them and feed more of that as well.

My vet explained to me that low calcium is more than an egg problem - their bodies need calcium for health in general, including bones and heart.

So some way to get more calcium into her is a good idea. She also needs to have the calcium balanced with sufficient phosphorus and Vitamin D. I give my runners some cat kibble which is enriched with Vitamin D.

okay thanks to both i shall up the calcium and vitamine D intake
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom