White Poo, Very Sick Hen

Thank you all for the replies, you have helped out tons!
I think I dust the chickens with poultry dust, clean out the coop an apply orange guard, replace the hay with pine shavings, and use stall fresh in there.
For the leg mites I will use the vaseline, probably a different bottle from the one I use for the wattles. I'm still working on what to do for the crop, but I have some Pedialyte to put in her water. I'll wait till it is warmer before I worry anymore about the roost and coop.

Your hen may have lice or m ites, or both, and should be dusted with Sevin 5% .

She also has a respiratory infection.. I would get Tylan 50 and some syringes/needles, and give her 1/2 cc a day, for 7 days.

She can be injected under the skin at the back of the neck, or into the breast muscle , at an angle, not straight in.. Be sure to avoid the crop !!

OR you could treat her water with LS 50 powder, works well for respiratory, however , you must be certain this is her only water she can get into for the entire treatment time ...

Throw away her eggs for 2 weeks after the last dose, or last day of water treatment !!

Good luck !!

I think she may have cocci.

See the red on the feathers in your picture:

70771_photo0137.jpeg

I would treat all for cocci in addition to the mite/lice problem.

Leg mites can be treated with human scabies treatment. Paint it onto the legs and leave for 24 hours and then wash off, Derbac M is a very good one, but there are lots out there. Alternatively use Ivermectin cattle pour on, a few drops at the back of the neck, once every three months will not only kill mites/fleas on the bird but will prevent any further infestation. It works by putting a very small amount of poison [to fleas] into the birds blood stream, so any blood sucking parasites will be poisoned by it.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON HENS PRODUCING EGGS FOR EATING

Where there's fleas, there's worms, so a good wormer [not a herbal one] is also needed, something like Flubenvet

pips&peeps :

I think she may have cocci.

See the red on the feathers in your picture:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/70771_photo0137.jpeg

I would treat all for cocci in addition to the mite/lice problem.

I don't think she has cocci, from what info I could gather. Her poo was white liquid, not solid white, but clear and white. Kind of like really watered down milk. I think I may be in over my head a teensy bit. But that is where my chicken has to stay and I don't want him getting sick from the others, so I need to treat them.​

Last edited:
Mites / lice would not cause her poo to be like that , looking at her eye, it looks droopy, and her face looks swollen...

Feel her breast bone , Is the bone sticking out like a handle ? or is there a lot of meat on both sides ?

If the bone is sticking out greatly, she is emaciated... it is not normal for chickens to pass only urates.. chickens pee white urates... usually on top of a normal brown firm poo, looking like a white cap..

is her breathing laboured, does she pant , sneeze ,cough, have any rattly breath , mucous coming from the nose ? this would indicate a respiratory condition.. (bear in mind chickens hide when they are sick to prevent being ousted by the flock and to avoid attracting predators, so if you are holding her , she may breathe differently than if you are standing near listening quietly ..)

Check her crop, it should feel full at roost time, with no food overnight, and before you check her , first thing in the morning , the crop should be emptied out , if not she coud be crop bound ...

She could be just emaciated from being overloaded with worms , they will drag her down and with the lice and mites they can kill her ... worms feed off what they have eaten , stealing nutrition..

why don't you take a poop sample to the vet for testing ! get a really fresh one and put it into a ziploc bac, and have the vet do a fecal float test, should be only a minimum charge, they can test for a Respiratory infection , E-coli , parasites ,and cocci... this way you would know exactly what you are dealing with ,

to get rid of mites in the poultry house, completely empty it out of all shavings, strip it down, spray Sevin or Pemethrin into all the cracks ,and replace the bedding with pine shavings when it's all dry,, put a a table spoon size amount of Sevin 5% powder into the shavings in the nest boxes , ansd a alittle into the floor shavings . IF the chickens have mites living ON them near the vent area, you will have to treat all individual birds.. Approved for poultry, is sevin5% dust , Peremethrin dust , or spray, diluted...

Re- powder all the birds in 7 to 10 days with the Sevin... one pound of powder treats 100 birds, so I use about a half shot glass sized amount of powder per bird.. wear a dust mask to avoid inhaling the powder, get it up under the vent area some on the back and a little under each wing, then fluff it all down to the skin. Do not let the powder drift into their feed or water containers...
There is no egg withholding time for 1 application of Sevin, but you should refrain from eating the bird for 7 days...

this is my chicken Tanya and she stands around for about 3 hours a day in the same spot like this

Her poos look like this when they are wetish

Back
Top Bottom