White Rock Hen/ Roo?

jermoatc

Songster
11 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Lake Crystal, MN
I have a 12 week old White Rock chicken that I still cant tell if it is a hen or a roo? Anybody know any tell tale signs I can look for? When do Rossters develop spurs?

Bianco was around 14 weeks old when I noticed his spur nubs. See below.

19926_dscf1044.jpg

Thank you. I will start looking for those little buds. Im pretty sure its a hen but she sure has a nice comb and what seems to be a big tail.

all chicks have spur bumps...can you post some pics full body from side, head from side, and possably 2-4 feathers from around the neck with a finger under them to separate them from the rest. all will really help us help you out.

size of comb and waddles
feathers around neck will be pointed if roo round if hen

it hard to tell with rocks for they are slow growing breed.. i had one that was a year old and still didnt have full on spurs yet..
but had hard nubbys that hurt when he kicked.. also the comb very slow to develop in this kinda breed.. my barred is about 6 months old and 4 weeks ago just started to crow.
if you look on the back of it is should have small pointy feathers if its a roo and if its a hen they should be fat and rounded
12 weeks im tring to remeber if there combs were gitting bigger or not at that point but if it has a big one then id say roo
cuz then hens should still have a small pale pink flesh colored comb.

Last edited:
Pullets start to get wattles at 9 weeks, Cockerels much earlier. The cockerels comb and wattles will be very much red by this time and a pullets will be fleshy colored to pink until nearing point of lay.

Post pics, we love a challenge!
At 12 weeks a roo would probably be getting a red comb/wattles, and have thicker legs. Kinda early for sex-feathering to show up.

My Cockerel rocks had pretty big combs and wattles by that age. It was easy to tell them from the pullets. Guess it would be harder if you don't have a pullet and roo side by side. Looking to see if I took any pics of them around that age.

Ehhh sorry didn't take many pics of my Blue Rocks as chicks. This is the best I can find. They are 10 weeks old. Cockerel is in the front and Pullet in the back. Not a great pic....
71564_dsc02064.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom