White Silkie - Hen or Roo

hollyandty

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2009
North Pole, Alaska
Can anyone tell the sex of this little chick. she/he is 7 weeks old. Bought her for a friend that needed a new hen to go with her pair she was going to be a mothers day present.
33315_silkie_4.jpg

33315_silkie_3.jpg

33315_silkie_2.jpg

33315_silkie_1.jpg

OK guess I have a 50\\50 chance of getting it right!
wink.png
I would guess pullet. my roo had huge comb and wattles at this age and crowing at 10 weeks. but then again 50\\50 right, silkies are hard to determine....

Connie

I think pullet, but my silkie had virtually no comb just 12 days ago...

I posted a 'what gender is this' pic just today on here and everyone hands down is saying ROO! (his comb/waddles shot up out of no where! in just 12 days!)

Others are saying they have silkies that are 3-4 months old and have NO waddles or combs at all still. Mines only 9 weeks old!

silkies are something!

Last edited:
Absolutely no way to know at that stage. As someone said, a guess has a 50% chance of being right.

That chick has a lot of developing to go through before any reliably accurate geusses can be made. Unless you want to fork over about $30 for dna testing.

I still say it's too early to tell. With any other breed I would say pullet. But gosh darn it. I just bought 5 silkies. And they are 8 weeks + old, and they all look exactly the same. lol

I never believed the people who said silkies take months to tell. Well I do now.

Looks just exactly like one that I have. I was sure it was a pullet from day one, it was just so pretty. Now at 11 weeks, he's getting streamers in his crest. His comb is still much smaller than the black that I'm positive is a cockerel. I'm no silkie expert, but that comb is looking swept-back from the side... I'm going to guess it's a male.

Back
Top Bottom