White silkie with RED comb and eyes?

I am in the process of getting to the bottom of this.
smile.png
My boy's offspring all have dark skin. I will keep you posted if I find anything new out.

Quote:
Sounds great! I would really like to know if I hatch some of Lorraine's eggs, if her offspring will be born with this white skin as well. I'm not sure how I would tell her eggs from the other two pullets I just purchased yesterday (with dark skin).. I'm sure I will end up with one or two of her eggs as well. The rest of my chickens are LF and will lay bigger eggs than the silkies. I do not use breeding pens.

Here is what he told me. Still not sure I understand.
smile.png

Ciao Jamie, in my opinion, seeing only a photo, I can give 2 possibilities

- the gene "B" for barring (cuckoo) block the pigmentation of skin, comb, wattles, beak, eyes, feet certainly when that gene is pure (in double doses) B/B (for a cock because sex-linked).
(I give my point of view on this subject into detail on this webpage : http://sites.google.com/site/zijdehoenders/t%26dcreating/basics-about-chicken-color-genetics-heritage/singularity-in-cuckoo-silkie)
So
this cuckoo must than be overtaken by the epistasis of the all pigment production blocking gene c/c which is recessive white.

- this cock could also be seen as a "siamese" Silkie which have never dark skin, comb, wattles, beak, eyes, feet.

Here is my little pullet. Saw parents, siblings. No hatchery stock. All the rest are "NORMAL", and beautiful , obviously purebred Silkies. What do y'all think? Her coloring is PINK, and her legs are BLUE.

Oh my God, she's SOOO cute! I usually am a sucker for the dark skinned silkies and I tend to not like silkies with red combs/etc (I ended up with a roo from a hatchery with bright red waddles/comb) but she is so pretty :) That's so weird. I'm subscribing to the thread, I totally wanna know what more people say!

I love the look of those Silkies with red combs! I hope someone will start a new line or breed like that.

I don't like the normal silkies as the black skin on the face looks scary to me lol.

I have a theory as to what might have happened to make them have the red wattles.

Perhaps they could be 'pied'.

This would cause them to have lack of pigment in larger or smaller amounts over their body. If they got this pied patch over their head then the comb and face could be red.......as it just the red colour form the blood to the bare skin.

Maybe check you other silkies with the black faces and see if they have any areas on skin that are red or pink, under the fluffy feathers.

I don't think that this new baby of mine is going to have RED comb/earlobes/wattles. Hers are PINK and her eyes are a beautiful green. I've seen the SIlkies with red combs, etc, but this color is different that anything that I have seen.
yippiechickie.gif

I don't think that this new baby of mine is going to have RED comb/earlobes/wattles. Hers are PINK and her eyes are a beautiful green. I've seen the SIlkies with red combs, etc, but this color is different that anything that I have seen.
yippiechickie.gif
Your pullet's comb is pink because she's immature, all pullets have pink or fleshy combs. It should turn red when she reaches sexual maturity.

Back
Top Bottom