White wing tips on a chick: Australorp or Black Giant?

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
Our chicks are starting to get their wing fethers (they are four days old) and the chick I thought was an Autralorp has white tips on her wings and I've read that this is a Balck Giant trait.

I sure hope she's an Australorp and not a Black Giant - I don't want a 10 lb chicken!
roll.png

~Phyllis

Good! Now I know what kind of chick I have....I was wondering! I bought what was suppose to be an AUSTRALORP but I was wondering, as I thought Australorp's were solid black, mine too has white at the tips of her 3 leading feathers. She is beautiful. I say SHE because that is what I bought. Of course, the last time I bought "pullets" the majority of them turned out cockerels! I sure hope these "girls" ARE GIRLS. I've already given away 2 roosters and I've separated the other 2 from the flock. I leave my little Porcelain d'Uccle out with the hens because I figure he's too small to do any damage! My New Hampshire red KILLED MY BRAHMA HEN, I was devastated. I hate the thought of him being eaten, but at that point, I gave him away and said, "if you make stew out of him, please just don't tell me!"

Back
Top Bottom