Whiting True Blue and Legbar

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
Got these babies last night from a local breeder as I wanted colored egg layers. She says they are a Whiting True Blue and a Cream Legbar. When I look up Legbar photos, the chicks I see do not have these additional markings on their faces. All of her females had them. Is this a typical trait? Does the second chick look like a True Blue? Seems like there can be a lot of variety with those.

The down seems long to me on both of the chicks, but I've gotten used to raising bantams lately so perhaps that's why.

CCL:
20200610_111655.jpg

WTB:
20200610_123354.jpg

I'm not familiar with either of the breeds. They weren't around fifteen years ago when I was keeping poultry and I don't usually get very excited about fad breeds. I did set a few eggs for a friend that are Whiting True Blues so I can tell you what they look like in a few weeks when they hatch. I'm pretty sure there's not much of a Standard with the WTB so long as they lay a Blue Egg. The Cream-crested Legbar does have a standard of sorts though. Their pattern is Crele unless it is a White "sport". It's possible the birds have been crossed to something in order to lay olive eggs, or something like that. I'd guess project birds without seeing the parents though...

Cream Legbar: that's a good point about the extra markings on the face. Sorry, I don't know what's going on there, but I'll be curious to see how it grows up.

Whiting True Blue, I think they can be any color, so all I can say about your chick is "maybe?"

Back
Top Bottom