Whiting true blue crossed with marans

karma33

Chirping
Aug 24, 2017
Will Whiting true blue hens, crossed with Black Copper Marans roo give olive eggers 100% of the time?
And what would a marans roo cross with an isbar hen produce? olive? or is there a chance for brown egg layers also?

I found this in a thread here,
EE.jpg

This should answer most of that,, however mother nature has her way doing her own thing sometimes.

I’m jumping in years later to answer that YES, breeding purebred Whiting True Blues (2 blue egg genes) to purebred dark laying Marans does produce 100% Olive laying offspring with all offspring having pea combs. I’ve been breeding this cross myself. The highly unique and variable feather colors of the Whitings results in beautiful chicks. Most hatch blue/black/splash when using a Blue Copper Marans and they sell quickly, almost as soon as they are dry. If you use fluffy faced Whiting True Blues, the chicks can inherit beards, which people seem to really like. It adds a lot of interest to Olive Egger breeding pens!

I’m jumping in years later to answer that YES, breeding purebred Whiting True Blues (2 blue egg genes) to purebred dark laying Marans does produce 100% Olive laying offspring with all offspring having pea combs. I’ve been breeding this cross myself. The highly unique and variable feather colors of the Whitings results in beautiful chicks. Most hatch blue/black/splash when using a Blue Copper Marans and they sell quickly, almost as soon as they are dry. If you use fluffy faced Whiting True Blues, the chicks can inherit beards, which people seem to really like. It adds a lot of interest to Olive Egger breeding pens!
I was wondering if the offspring would be sex linked if the roo was Maran and the hen was WTB? I have a bunch of WTB eggs incubating and a breeder near to me with both. I want to make a sex linked olive egger cross. I know that crested cream legbar hens with maran roo will make that combo, but I am looking to see if I could do it with the whiting true blue as well. What do you think? I guess it would depend on if the WTB hen had barring genes?

I was wondering if the offspring would be sex linked if the roo was Maran and the hen was WTB? I have a bunch of WTB eggs incubating and a breeder near to me with both. I want to make a sex linked olive egger cross. I know that crested cream legbar hens with maran roo will make that combo, but I am looking to see if I could do it with the whiting true blue as well. What do you think? I guess it would depend on if the WTB hen had barring genes?

It would also depend on what kind of Marans you used.
A Cuckoo Marans rooster would produce barred offspring of both genders.

Cuckoo Marans hens with a not-barred Whiting True Blue rooster is another way to produce sexlinks.

The babies I have now are black copper marans. So if one turns out to be a nice quality cockerel, I might think about keeping him. I have a salmon faverolle cockerel, but I am not sure if he is quality enough to breed, plus if I am going to choose anything to cross, I would like it to be sex linked and make olive eggers :D I took the salmon boy from my mom because I wanted my general flock to have a rooster that was well mannered and they have a great reputation. I might just work with what I got. LOL.

Yes, the WTB hen would need to be barred. Barred WTB hens DO exist so that is an option!
We will see what hatches! The WTB roo that made the eggs I am hatching looks so cool. He looked like jungle fowl almost. Very bright green and red feathering and a stark white earlobe. I will try to get a picture of him on Monday when I go visit the farm where he lives. Makes me want to keep the cockerels that hatch, but hopefully they will be easy to rehome. I might have to build a bachelor pad if I can't let 'em go LOL

Back
Top Bottom