Who’s My Roo?

Honestly agreed
I absolutelty can compare it beyond beauty
Thank you! I love these little guys! I am new to chickens and was surprised at how sweet and engaging they can be. Their pretty good looks are a bonus. 😁♥️♥️

I think the first one because you can see the darker red on the comb and also the back feathers are different. They stand up higher and also split at the base.
I bought 8 week olds from a breeder and she swore they were all hens but 3 turned out to be roos.
Another way to tell is the legs are longer and heavier.
Keep an eye on that one and if it is a roo he will start herding the girls and offering them tit bits.

Yesterday, I heard a crow from the coop and am not sure who it was. My three most likely birds are all 3.5 - 4 months old.
Grey Ameraucana, Ellie or Elvis?
View attachment 2826660
View attachment 2826661
Next up, sold to me as a Blue Barred, but looks like an Astralorp to me, Qwen or John?
View attachment 2826663
And my last, Best Guess is an Olive Egger, Louie or Louise?
View attachment 2826665View attachment 2826666
Thanks for looking! ♥️♥️
My best guess is the Olive Egger due to larger comb but they all look like pullets! I also don’t see any saddle feathers…. 🤷🏻‍♀️

If I may throw my experience in... I've had several HENS crow. Fully mature, laying hens. Every time I've gotten rid of a rooster, I've had a hen start crowing. And it's not always the same hen. So you may have heard a crow from a (from what I've read on here) more dominant hen.

Chickens are crazy! You have beautiful birds!! ❤️

If I may throw my experience in... I've had several HENS crow. Fully mature, laying hens. Every time I've gotten rid of a rooster, I've had a hen start crowing. And it's not always the same hen. So you may have heard a crow from a (from what I've read on here) more dominant hen.

Thank you for the info and the kind words! The hen that some people thought may be a roo, Penny, started squatting this week, starting squatting this week. So, those few that thought she was my culprit were wrong. You’re the second or third person to say that they’ve had hens crow! Maybe I’m not crazy after all! 😂😁😆

Thank you for the info and the kind words! The hen that some people thought may be a roo, Penny, started squatting this week, starting squatting this week. So, those few that thought she was my culprit were wrong. You’re the second or third person to say that they’ve had hens crow! Maybe I’m not crazy after all! 😂😁😆
Hens crow but pullets do not.😉

Yesterday, I heard a crow from the coop and am not sure who it was. My three most likely birds are all 3.5 - 4 months old.
Grey Ameraucana, Ellie or Elvis?
View attachment 2826660
View attachment 2826661
Next up, sold to me as a Blue Barred, but looks like an Astralorp to me, Qwen or John?
View attachment 2826663
And my last, Best Guess is an Olive Egger, Louie or Louise?
View attachment 2826665View attachment 2826666
Thanks for looking! ♥️♥️
I think from the hackles and curved tail feathers, it's John. The picture of the olive egger is just not clear enough for me to see the hackles or tail. They are all beautiful birds!!!

me too....crazy hens! My uncle used to say "whistling girls and crowing hens always come to disastrous ends"....

Back
Top Bottom