Who are attempting to breed to the breed standard??

Yeah, our site needs to be updated extremely, we no longer have the naked necks, easter eggers, magpie ducks, runner ducks. Our BLR rooster died over the winter so we have the BLR hens with the SL rooster to make more SL and blue laced silver. The males from that will show some red in the hackle, saddle, and wing coverts, but bred back to SL they would make good blue laced silvers.
With the phoenix they are still young, the oldest cockerel is just trying to crow. We originally crossed a crele OEGB rooster on some light brown phoenix hens and only got one egg to hatch and it was a female. She is crele colored but still looks like OEGB with white earlobes. We crossed her to a LB phoenix rooster and got sexlinks. The males are crele with white legs that have a green tint. The females are LB with green legs. We are going to cross the crele cockerels to some light brown hens next year and should have better leg color. A better way to have done it would be to use a barred leghorn male on LB phoenix hens. It would be better because the pure white earlobes are the same on both breeds and it would have been easier to get slate legs. I will try to get some pics soon, we are going to try and update the site soon.

Quote:
We aren't really selling eggs from the cochins though we do occassionally throw a couple as extras in with out bantam barred rock orders. The problem is the breeder we got them from, Tom Roebuck, uses A.I. on his birds, and the cock is 2 years old and so had never bred naturally before coming to our home. So not only does he really not know what to do, it's also hard when they have such full cushions to get fertility because it's like a big poof of fluff in his way, haha! So we have very low fertility right now. We cracked open 4 eggs the other day and only had 1 fertile. So I wouldn't want to take your money and give you something that may not produce anything at all!

Flyingmonkeypoop, it sounds like a very interesting project, I wish you the best of luck with it! I'd die happy if I saw crele phoenix's, I'm not a big fan of the golden or silver really, I wish they came in more colors. Red Pyle would also be cool, and pure black. OH! Oh blue or self blue! oOoOoOo.... *daydreams about all the possibilities*

Last edited:
Kanchii, have you tried AI yet, or do you feel strongly about natural breeding? I am not "there" yet, as I only have chicks, but I have been googling myself blind about everything chicken, and a month ago I ran across this article by an old timer about AI an cochins. His method sound doable, his instructions seem very clear, and I want you to try this and get back to me ASAP with those fertile cochin eggs!!! LOL.
Seriously, it's a good read. Check it out.
http://www.cochinbantams.com/a__insemination.htm

We breed for preservation, so yes they are bred to breed standard. That is how we preserve the look and type and production qualities of our birds.

Quote:
Lol yes I've done lots of research on it, but I don't want to do it!
lol.png
I like my rooster but not THAT much! Hahaha!

We raise and show....
Siclian Buttercups, black cochin bantams, Quail antwerp d' anvers, buff rock bantams, bb red modern game bantams, salmon favorolles bantams, black rosecombs, buff brahma bantams, leghorn bantams, white silkies, black austrolorps, buff orpingtons, silver lakenvelders, mille fleurs, barred rocks, white crested black (blue) polish, partridge rocks, blue andelusuions bantams, black cochins standards, light brahmas, and godlen laced wyndottes,

ducks....
Chocolate muscovys, mallards, rouens, buff, khaki campbells

call ducks...
snowies, gray's, whites, pastels

geese...
Grey saddleback pomeranian, white embden, pilgrims, brown chinese

pheasants...
lady amhearst, black mutants, silvers, red and yellow golden

gunieas...
whites, pearls, lavenders

pigeons..
priests, rollers, homers