who breeds marans? any color birds, dark eggs

Ok I have a strange request, I'm a
4-H leader in So Ca. I'm trying to put together an egg collection of different color egg for the kids to study & have contest with, is there anyone that can help me with good colored infertily egg(s), of any breeds

I have 6 copper blacks feather legged eggs and some wheatens and blues in my bator now. I really hope I get a good pair out of the copper blacks, so far they are all developing and I would love to keep in touch to find more to add to my future flock.

Kimberly

Margaret,

I have a small and young flock of cuckoo marans. I got hatching eggs on ebay that came from Sandhills birds. I've also got some eggs incubating from Iona on ncpoultry. They are from the Fitch lines.

Will you be at the Raleigh lunch/swap?

Look forward to meeting you there,
Pam

I have 5 cuckoo marans from a large hatchery , 1 featherlegged splash roo, 1 solid black roo, 1 black copper roo, and three black hens. All the others I won off eggbid from Valentine Hatchery. The girls from him lay very dark eggs. I want to breed the splash roo with the black hens to get blue marans, the black copper roo with one black to get more black coppers, and the black roo with future blue hens.

I am looking into getting more eggs/chicks from other breeders this year.

frogtown I sent you a PM, please call me tonight as I have a proposition where we can both get these going faster!

I really don't care how late, its that important to talk to you before you leave for Raleigh

M

What a wonderful post Mergmet. I love talking marans. I have cuckoo, both clean and feather shank, which I house separtely during breeding season. My original ones were all clean shank and came from Ideal. They were nice looking birds and laid a respectable egg. The next year,I hatched chicks from the darkest eggs and got several pullets which laid a darker egg than the parent hen. The next year I did the same and those are this year's breeders. Unfortunatly I lost almost all of my older stock this past Summer and Fall when coons and other predators found every weak spot in my coop, Even they know marans are superior,it seems, since they were in the pen with all different breeds and my marans were the ones they killed.
I got my feather shank from a guy off the rare poultry board. They are nice looking birds, but the egg color needs alot of work,so I'm really going to work on that this year.

I am getting eggs from Angi Harrover very soon and she has birds(both clean and feather) from Kelly Cratty lines. I'm looking forward to getting those.
It's interesting about egg color because even though all of this year's breeders hatched from dark eggs(2 generations), 2 hens lay a lighter egg than they hatched from. I have noticed them gradualing darkening,but I doubt they get as dark as the others.

I also would like to get some nice pure marans. I have contacted Sue, but I here there is a waiting list? She has some lovely birds and the colors oh man.
Karen

Back
Top Bottom