Who can identify my bantam chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jessie_Jazz, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Hi all,

Have been incubating chicks with my class of 9-11 year old children. I have done this before a few times but always used eggs from my Dad's flock of orpingtons and pekin bantams. But this time he bought me some eggs from a local poultry auction. The only label they had on them said "fertil bantam eggs" (haha!) so I wasn't holding out much hope...
    HOWEVER! After candling and finding that 17 out of the 24 eggs were fertile; we have just hatched 15 healthy chicks! I am over the moon as I was only hoping for 3 or 4 and was so worried that none would hatch.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me identify them though as I have no idea. There are 7 with feathery feet, 4 black ones and some with 'tiger' stripes down their backs.

Hope these pictures are Ok....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also: don't worry about the blue bits. We used food colouring on some of the chicks to help us identify who's who.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Could you get individule pictures?
    But the black one with the white dot on its head looks like a Barred Rock.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

4. Jessie_Jazz

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    I can; not sure about the quality of them though, as using school cameras. But the children all voted for names so....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soz, not a lot of face pics, I'll see if I have any more... Am reasonably certain the black ones are barred somethings... bu others I am at a loss about, particularly the yellow ones with non-feathery feet

5. LuLu68

LuLu68 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Kilgore, Tx
    The spotted yellow ones look like Mottled Japanese.

6. Jessie_Jazz

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Ah, ok. I had never heard of them, just did some googling and it could be. They're starting to get wing feathers now so I'll get some more pics. They're home with me now which my dog is delighted about!

7. Jessie_Jazz

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some new pictures, taken yesterday and this morning. The black one is 'Roger' from the names pictures - I was expecting his/her feathers to come in black and white striped as people generally thinks its a barred something...but they're pure black. Another one of the black chicks does look like their wing feathers are striped - does this mean that Rog is a different breed?
    The yellow/striped one in the recent pics is 'Tiger.' His/her feathers look brown with white lacing around the edge.
    Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by