Who can tell me about my new chickens?

SmallFarmBC

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 26, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Hey everyone, maybe you can help:

We have had a half dozen RIRs for the past year, and have recently added to our flock.

We have seven new additions:

three large brownish ladies said to be ameracaunas of about 9 months,
two medium white ones with snarled feet said to be silkies of the same age, and
two BEAUTIFUL black and white girls just four months old and not yet laying.

I am most interested in the breed and egg colour of the black and white girls... they have no comb to speak of, and have a distinctive Bird of Prey look about them

Here are the pics:
chick1.jpg

chick2.jpg

chick4.jpg

chick5.jpg

chick6.jpg

chick7.jpg

chick8.jpg

Thanks for any and all help!

Hi. Very lovely girls you have there.
smile.png
The black and white ones are the same thing as your brown ones....EE's (Easter Eggers). some will tell you they are Amerucanas (I never can remember how to spell that).
smile.png

Ummm...I just noticed your brown ones have some little pouf thing going on with their heads.....not sure about that.
hu.gif

Last edited:
You have "Silver Laced" Easter Eggers!

They are all great looking birds.

Your white ones don't look like Silkies to me. They look like white Easter Eggers.

You'll probably get a bunch of green/olive shaded eggs.

Last edited:
I am thinking the brown and the white ones both may be Silkie/EE mix. You can see distinct Silkie qualities (the black skin) and the poufy doo on the brown ones could come from a Silkie too, couldn't it? I also see black skin on at least one brown one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

The only eggs I've got from the new ones is from one of the white birds, and they were bright white... I'm looking forward to the other girls getting started
wink.png

With any luck, these won't lay HUGE eggs that don't fit in cartons like my RIRs
lol.png

jugding by the behind shot of the white pullet in the second picture you have, an american bred (non-bearded) silkie mixed with ann EE heres my american bred white silkie heckles:
101_2322.jpg

and here my japenese white silkie (bearded) Ayano,
101_1946.jpg

Great pics EPS...

After a few more eggs, the so-called "white" ones from our one little silkie-X are in fact a very pale green
wink.png

So far though, none of the other new-girls have started laying. It's been four+ days, and although I know the two "silver laced" girls aren't laying yet, I kind of expected the other four to get their lay on... Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Well silkies are Notoriuos broody birds, they love to nest and lay eggs (and brood over them like there fertile, even when there not) but they could be stressed fom the move, or maybe they didnt eat proper laying feed, it could also be that they are ot getting enough grit in their crops, and are eating their eggs as a substitue (like mine where) look for yellow stains on your whiter birds for proof of that, if that be the case they need grinded oyster shells from the local co-op. but my prediction is post-moving stress, they are at there most vunerable when laying, if a hen doesnt yet feel safe she my avoid the process alltogether. hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom