1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who cleaned out the chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dawny2u2, Oct 29, 2009.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Noticing there was quite a pile under the roost, I planned on gettin in there today, and cleaning it out. We had some snow, and some cold, and those chickens were reluctant to get outside. I fed them plenty inside the coop, and decided to kick them outside when it got sunny. My oh my, went in to clean, and poof! the pile was missing! Now, there's been no one in there but them....any one have any experience with this possibility?????

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    When it is cold out and my hens stay inside they dig up and turn over the bedding several times and the piles vanish into the bedding....joe

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    How funny. Magically disappearing poo!

4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hmmm, maybe I need to start locking mine up...lol. [​IMG]

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

How come that never happens to me?? [​IMG]

If you tossed the food into the coop and not in a feeder then they will stir up all the bedding while they are scratching around.
    That is my only guess, or the pooh fairy came and took it, look and see if she left any money under the roost.

6. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Thank Goodness! I thought I may have poop eating chickens! YUCK.... and, no, there wasn't any $$ anywhere

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Maybe you have an overzealous organic gardener living nearby who wanted some good fertilizer for the garden.
    I've heard of people stealing eggs and hens, maybe the gardeners are getting desperate too! It does turn into black gold in the compost bin, you know!

8. Marbleheader

Marbleheader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    Happened to me today. Yesterday, there was a big pile under the roost that I told my self I'd clean today. Came home from work, and it was gone. Lesson learned.

9. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    So if we just wait long enough, the coop cleans itself [​IMG]

10. WVchick

WVchick New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    My 2 leghorns plow up the wood shaving in their coop. Their feeder is attached to wall and they empty the feeder into the bedding on floor. Will they still eat that feed after it's on the floor in a pile? I am trying deep litter method and this complicates "the plan"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by