who determens the feather color

Ginger2512

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
i was wondering who determens the feather color, the egg color and if the feathers are full like a cochin or lacking like a legern, the Hen or the Roo?

It is SAID that 'the hen gives the shape and the rooster the color', however I believe either parent can give the feather color, usually it ends up a mixed color (like a partridge rooster over a wheaten hen would result in a millie flluer like coloring)
Leg color - It depends
Egg color - Depends

However, remember some genes are dominant over others which has a HUGE affect in the coloring of anything.

As for full feathers - i think one is more dominant then the other

It is SAID that 'the hen gives the shape and the rooster the color', however I believe either parent can give the feather color, usually it ends up a mixed color (like a partridge rooster over a wheaten hen would result in a millie flluer like coloring)
Leg color - It depends
Egg color - Depends

However, remember some genes are dominant over others which has a HUGE affect in the coloring of anything.

As for full feathers - i think one is more dominant then the other

Thank you, I have a 3 Lavender Americana chicks not sure if they are all hens or if one is a roo. I like the color of them and the green eggs. But they are clean legged birds. I also like their size. I was wondering if I bread a standard Cochin roo to the my hens would the offspring be Lavender muffed, feathered legs and lay the green eggs. Do standard Cochins come in Lavender? If not what color should the roo be to keep the offspring Lavender.

Quote:
Lavender cochins will be hard to come across. Use a black one, it'll give you lavenders, and split blacks (black with recessive lavender)
Yes, the offspring will be feather legged, although the eggs will be olive. Cochins are a light brown egg layer and when crossed with a green or blue egg layer you get olive eggs. Not sure if a muff is or is not dominant, but breed a few generations in and select ones with best leg feathering, closest to green or blue eggs, and muffed. It will take generations of breeding but you'll have the birds described in no time if you do select breeding.

If you like the shape of the ameracauna, also select for that. Remember, its best to focus on some traits esp. (like choose 4-5 chickens to breed for best leg feathering, and muff, then another 4-5 chickens breed for the best comb type (cochins have single, ameracaunas have pea, so it'll look weird when you first cross it) and the best body type, then breed another 4-5 for eggs, and carefully breed them one-to another until you can have say, a bird that has good type and comb plus green eggs to breed with a bird with the best leg feathering and muff)

Lavender cochins will be hard to come across. Use a black one, it'll give you lavenders, and split blacks (black with recessive lavender)
Yes, the offspring will be feather legged, although the eggs will be olive. Cochins are a light brown egg layer and when crossed with a green or blue egg layer you get olive eggs. Not sure if a muff is or is not dominant, but breed a few generations in and select ones with best leg feathering, closest to green or blue eggs, and muffed. It will take generations of breeding but you'll have the birds described in no time if you do select breeding.

If you like the shape of the ameracauna, also select for that. Remember, its best to focus on some traits esp. (like choose 4-5 chickens to breed for best leg feathering, and muff, then another 4-5 chickens breed for the best comb type (cochins have single, ameracaunas have pea, so it'll look weird when you first cross it) and the best body type, then breed another 4-5 for eggs, and carefully breed them one-to another until you can have say, a bird that has good type and comb plus green eggs to breed with a bird with the best leg feathering and muff)

I'm just getting started, THANK YOU so much this is a great help.
jumpy.gif
I did forget about the comb difference and I didn't know Cochins laid light brown eggs. I live in Ohio. The summers get hot (above 95) at times with humidity and the winters are cold (below 0) at times. So finding birds that I like and are comfortable in both extrems, not easy. Thank you again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom