Who did it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SurprisingWoman, Dec 13, 2009.

1. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    My two RSL's have been laying consistently for a while.

I am still waiting on my two EE's and BA at 29+ weeks.

I was sure my BA was a roo because she wasn't widening in the pelvis and her comb is HUGE, but she has been doing the squat for the past week.

One of my EE's (rose comb) was caught checking out the nest box and has squatted a few times but not as consistently as the BA.

Today it has been snowing heavy wet snow but we are above freezing for the first time a over a week so I not going to complain but with the snow being so wet the girls aren't coming out of their coop so I can check vents.

Here is my winterized tractor, they had been coming out even when it was snowing and 8 degrees F but the snow was powder and easy to navigate... not so much now.

[​IMG]

Today I got this egg. It was evidently a painful process for the poor girl but it's white! Who laid this egg, my BA or EE?

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Brenda

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I'd say the EE. BA's lay brown eggs - mine actually lays my darkest brown egg and it has little speckles on it! [​IMG] EE's can lay ANY color egg... congrats!! [​IMG]

3. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    EE is what it look slike to me!

4. SurprisingWoman

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I am going to have to coax the girls out of the tractor.

After looking at more pictures of chickens I think my BA is a BMinorca! The guy at IFA tried to give me a black minorca and I didn't want it because they aren't as cold hardy and I knew it was going to be cold in Utah.

Her comb is HUGE and flops over it's so big. She has ginormous wattles and white ears.

I think she is a minorca and not a BA. I will try to get a picture of her if she will participate.

Being a noob I had no idea.

I will brb .....

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yeah, a HUGE comb and white lobes is not a BA.... [​IMG] ...and if she is a Minorca, that would explain the white egg... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. SurprisingWoman

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I think the IFA guy lied to me... too bad for him I remember his name. It won't do any good but I will be mentioning this to Trey the next time I am in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't want a minorca because they aren't as cold hardy but as my granddaughter would say..

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

She is a sweetie. I am kind of glad I got a white egg layer.

Fake edit to add: How do chickens always know which one you want to get a picture of? My RSL's are a couple of nosy things. Sooo dang cute!

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Oooohhh, she's CUTE! Much nicer looking than the Minorca's in my Storeys book!! If you can keep her comb from freezing, I'd say you came out on top! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SurprisingWoman

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    We are doing okay so far with the comb and she has been around for the coldest weather we have had for some time.

In the past two weeks our low temp has been 0.3 F and our wind chill was -34.6 F.

I will just get a bit more rabid about my adding fresh shavings and controlling moisture.

Thanks, she is a pretty girl and uber sweet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by