Who dunnit?

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
In an only slightly belated Christmas gesture, one of my 4 newest ladies (26wo) laid her first egg today. Totally surprised me because I haven't seen anyone squatting when i'm in the run.

My guess would be it came from my Sicilian Buttercup Sadie because she's the smallest and her comb has been mature for a long time now. Also a contender is Wendolyn, my GL Wyandotte. Her comb has been really red for a good while but she's considerably larger and I'm under the impression that bigger hens get started later.

The remaining 2 are Orpingtons -- Violet and Ophelia. They're the giants in my coop and it's hard to tell about their combs since they're so much tinier. They're red but they're not really red.

Anyway, here it is along side the larger egg from my 18mo Cream Legbar, Lavinia, for size comparison. Don't know if the colors in the pic are very true. It's like a soft pink. Anyway, it wasn't painful waiting out this group of newbies because my sweet Lavinia has been a trooper laying all through the Winter almost without pause. But, boy!, are we going to be loaded down with eggs soon!

IMG_1698.JPG

Back
Top Bottom