Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Hey they arrived!!! Seemed like forever, as you all know (27 weeks and some change), and I was afraid that since the days were short and the temps are cold(er) that we would be waiting until spring before these girls gave us anything.

Came home and went to go clean out the coop. The boxes were ready a while back but they were sleeping in and pooping in them so we shut them up again. When I got to the coop there was not one...but two beautiful brown (one with little speckles) eggs on the floor. Guess we'll have to start opening the nests in the morning, so they can get the hang of it. Not sure who to thank yet, though my BR has been squatting for a while now so she may be one of the culprits.

Anyway breakfast the next day (though small) was delicious.
big_smile.png

If I don't start seeing four different eggs soon then we might have some chicken dinner, if I ever figure out who's holding out on me.
wink.png

Last edited:
I FINALLY got a first from one of my Cuckoo Cochins, Milky Way!! As of tomorrow she's 9mos 3wks old.

I was out cleaning the coop, and she decided she was going to do her thing while I worked. I happened to forget to leave my phone inside (I normally do). I was GLAD I forgot to leave it inside though!!

Last edited:
Our girls are 22 1/2 weeks old now and we're still waiting for our first egg.

1-Barred Rock Also, we have 4 that are 14 1/2 weeks old
1-Golden Laced Wyandotte
1-Golden Cuckoo Maran 1-Australorp
1-White Rock 1-Columbian Wyandotte
1-Easter Egger 1-Olive Egger
1-New Hampshire Red 1-Cream Legbar

Should be soon now.
old.gif

Guessing this girl will be our first to lay.

My three Barred Rocks started at 24 weeks in August 2015....even though it is now winter up here in Paradise, CA (34 degrees this morning) I usually get three eggs every two days. Placing an empty tub of KFC near their coop seems to have worked....

It was a long wait. I think all of my chickens are going to be late.
Only two are laying - Australorp started at 29 weeks and Orpington at 28

I am now waiting on:
Australorp - 28 weeks now - squatted yesterday
Dark Brahma - 28 weeks
Speckled Sussex - 27 weeks - squatted a week or two ago
(2) Blue Cochins - 24 weeks
Light Brahma - 23 weeks
(3) Easter Eggers - 17 weeks
Australorp - laid at 30 weeks and is now 42 weeks
Speckled Sussex - laid at 29 weeks and is now 41 weeks
(2) Blue Cochins - One turned out to be a rooster, the other started at 34 weeks and both are 39 weeks now
(2) EE - laid at 31 weeks

Now, I am waiting on just 3 to start laying:
Dark Brahma - 42 weeks
Light Brahma - 38 weeks
(1) Easter Egger - 32 weeks

I have barred rocks, Americana, RIR, and leghorns that I got last April and still have not received eggs yet. Any ideas?

Are their combs red? Do you have any windows in your chicken coop so they get as many hours of light as possible during the day? Are you feeding them a high protein layer feed, a calcium source such as crushed oyster shells, grit, and of course plenty of water? Could they be eating the eggs? Put some plastic or wooden nest eggs in there and see if they try to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom