Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kylea0219, May 19, 2015.

1. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We want to wash everything. It's counter-intuative to not wash an egg, but mother nature has it covered. This link should be useful. http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...e-best-way-to-wash-and-store-my-eggs-H62.aspx

2. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    that is eggclent information to know lol excuse my corny pun. I would have been soaking them in water.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Went out to do the water dishes so the morning is easier and found 2 new brown eggs in the young ones side! Has to be the Partridge rocks.

I do not wash mine until time of use unless there is a lot of mud or yuck on them. If I do wash any they go pronto into the fridge and get marked "use first".

If you do have to wash any make sure to use HOT water the hotter the better. It will make the inside expand while you are washing it and help keep bacteria out.

The eggs in the store have been washed and had oil applied to act as a protective layer.

4. peastix

peastix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Auckland New Zealand
    The other alternative for poopy eggs is to scramble them and give back to chooks same if they are cracked.Interesting in NZ eggs are sold ''off the shelf'' not refrigerated. Don't think they wash them.I've never been sick from eggs[60 plus years]

5. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    They are truly an amazing food item. I do not keep mine in the fridge either. Store eggs here you have to since they wash the bloom off them and they also tend to be a month or more old BEFORE you buy them.

My dogs LOVE fresh scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, raw eggs lol pretty much any ole way too. I cook some up for the dogs every Sunday morning.

6. peastix

peastix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Auckland New Zealand
    I LOVE eggs too any which way too and now I have chooks can have them every day if I want. Have re-introduced DH to boiled eggs with ''soldiers'' [fingers of toast to dip in egg yolk].Back to his childhood LOL.

7. Calima

Calima Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Pooler, Georgia
    Congrats! It's an amazing feeling isn't it?

8. Diney

Diney Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Still waiting, but worried that they aren't going to use the coop. They free range all day and only come back to their run during the day to get a drink and don't usually go into the coop. All this worrying is driving me crazy. [​IMG]

9. Cindi1972

Cindi1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    Wenham
    Doesn't it drive you crazy though? hahaaa... I'v moved my nesting boxes three times because I'm trying to determine what the girls would prefer. hahaaa And for the last week, I'm like... "it's any day... it's any day now." Good God!!!

10. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The waiting is the hardest part. If I have pullets that lay in the coop in a corner but not in the box I move the box to the corner. I also do not let new chickens free range UNTIL after they are regularly using the nest box. That way they are already geared into using it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by