Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I just received my first egg! In the nesting box too! It is sitting next to a large white store bought egg for comparison. I can't tell if it is a light brown egg from my BO, or pink from my EE. 20 1/2weeks of age.

With and without camera flash
I think that is from your BO, looks like the same shape as the ones I get from my Chocolate Orpington, but hers are way lighter in color more a light peachy color. Those are the dame color as the ones I get from my Barred Rock.

Our first egg! 18.3 week old BR. It is so cute and little! Can't wait for my son to get home from school as it was "his" chicken that laid it.
ya.gif

We just got our first egg EVER! Gretta van So-stern delivered today sometime and in the nesting box. I just knew she was close to laying because she would pop-a-squat and let me pet her.

I have 3 RR, 3 Columbian Wyandotte, 1BR, 5 Jersey giants, 3 BO, 3 Iowa Blues and 3 welsummer. They will all hit 18 weeks tomorrow. I am seeing wattles and combs starting to redden. Some more than others. It's about time for me to cut off the free ranging until they learn where to lay the eggs.

Last edited:
u are fun , i like u guys i am new here and i just got my baby girls, so every day i am looking forward to your postings and advice :0))

Don't wait past 6 months, the meat will get tougher with age. If your Australorps are hatchery sourced, they will be much smaller than Australorps that breed standard. And don't expect a dual purpose breed to look like a bird from the grocery store, once processed. 

Where do you get the breed standard?

Back
Top Bottom