Who else is waiting for that first egg?

16 1/2 weeks. Ugh the wait is killing me. Pretty red combs on 4 of my 16 girls. More than 1 finger clearance in between pelvic bones on 3 of them. Singing egg song for a week.

I think they are torturing me intentionally. They get a kick out of seeing me check the nest boxes 100 times a day.

Here is the link to the breed standard from the Australorp Club of Australia. The weights are in kilograms, so you'll need to do the math for the conversion into pounds.
http://www.australorps.com/4.html
You can obtain a copy of the American Standards of Perfection from the American Poultry Association's web page.
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm
Hatcheries focus on production, not meeting breed standards. The larger a bird is, the lower the rate of production, generally, and the more room they take up. Hatcheries intentionally breed their stock to be smaller than show quality birds.
My Barred Rock girls are bigger than my hatchery Australorps. And my hatchery Jersey Giant is the smallest bird in my flock.

Last edited:
I think I have my next breed I'm going to have.... Silver laced Orpingtons... sounds like I would love them and they would love me back... my Australorps really don't want me to touch them, much less hold them.... they come when I call them but I would really like to pet them and maybe hold them...
is there one color better than another when it comes to egg production??

Finally found our first egg, right in the nest box, yesterday after work! Weird thing though: when we cooked it (over easy) and then poked a fork beside the yoke to start eating, this cloudy, watery liquid came flowing out. The yoke was fine. Most of the white was cooked. But the white around the yoke was completely watery. I threw it out with extreme disappointment because I didn't know if it was safe to eat. Anyone else have that? Is that a "first egg" problem?

FINALLY! After a 5 day break Ghost just laid another egg! Ironic, I caved and went to the store and bought a dozen eggs today. I can do the happy dance now though because I was getting a little worried about Ghost after she laid 3 days in a row, I moved the nesting box out (bad decision, and really, it was my extra bin of straw that she decided to claim as her nesting box) and made a nest, and she stopped. I put the nesting box back and she started laying down in it for days on and off but wouldn't lay. So happy she's laying again! Now if the other girls could follow suit I would be even more happy!

It will happen , while waiting enjoy their company. I love my girls we have long talks while feeding them treats , the best time of the day after a long day at the office. None of my five girls is laying, but that doesn't bother me at all, eventually they will :0))

Quote: I definitely enjoy my time with them. I can NOT believe how much they have grown! They went from these tiny furry peeps to these beautiful large feathered babes. It's hilarious listening to the chatter when Ghost is trying to lay and then the victory squawks after! I was more worried than anything because she laid then stopped. She would get into the box, shift everything around, stay for a while then get back out and nothing. I thought at first it might be normal, but then I was worried maybe she was bound. Thankfully that's not the case though!

Back
Top Bottom