Who else was on lockdown 9/5-9/9? (Post your Hatch Round-ups!)

Yeah, I woke up at 5 am and instead of rolling over and getting a couple more hours sleep... I checked on the eggs (no pips or peeps yet) and came here to post!
lol.png

The duckling in the egg I crushed moved around a bit under the membrane to show me he's doing just fine, thank you.
woot.gif

I can't get my humidity above 80% (they're ducks--need high humidity), even with all the pans filled & a wet towel in there. I'm considering closing one of the vents at least until they start pipping, to keep the broken one's membrane moist. What do you think?

Haha the power of chicks. I woke up at 5:30 and kept telling myself to go back to sleep. I can barely make mysself wake up that early when I need to for school. I held back as long as I could but I j ust went out and checked. I've got 2 chicks, one black standard,(I cant figure out what it is, could a black sex link/columbian wyandotte produce a strait black chick?) and an adorable little bantam cochin.
4 more pips(is it normal that they seem to be pipping near the bottom?

Got 6/19 out and fluffing up! One died while hatching, took it out of the shell to make sure. I hear lots more pipping! I have a 4th broody hen now! Will have to find her some eggs. My goal is 12/19 left. Will post some pictures later tonight.
big_smile.png

Great to see other people having some success this weekend. Post pictures of your pips and newborns!

EDIT: I've got the rest of you beat, I woke up at 3am and checked my incubator. My excuse is it's on the way to the bathroom.
tongue.png

Last edited:
iamcuriositycat , If you have a fair bit of air inside your incubator closing the vent for a while shouldn't hurt, at least till humidity rises a bit then open it again.

I have five out now will post pick later.

I also have trouble with humidity here, this time of year it's really dry here, on a mountain too.

Woo-hoo! The duckling in the partially crushed egg is still moving around in there. It's alive! I just hope it will still be able to hatch...

No pips yet. No cheeping either. The waiting is killing me!! They're not due til Monday, so I know it's early, but all the pipping & hatching on this thread is driving me crazy!!
big_smile.png

Thanks, Andrew--I just closed one vent and we'll see where the humidity goes. It has been unseasonably cool here (feels like fall!), so I suspect the ambient humidity is lower than usual too.

Malbri--No, they aren't really supposed to be pipping near the bottom. Which end of your eggs is "up"? The air cell is usually in the large (edited for accuracy) end, and that is where they usually pip... ignore me if you already knew that. Did you candle them and make sure the air cell was "up"? The pips should be in the large end of the egg. If they are not, they may eventually need help hatching. On the other hand, they may adjust themselves--I had one pip in the middle of the egg last time and eventually it moved the pip upwards until it was in the "correct" position. Just keep an eye on them, and if they don't correct and they seem to get stuck (i.e., no progress for 36-48 hours), then you may need to carefully help them out.

Congrats, Mimir!! Very exciting!!! Obviously, waking up at 3 am to check the incubator is good practice. I'll have to try it.
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a PIP!!! Just one and it's small still. The quailie pipped while I was looking at the rest of the eggs...I was right there and missed it! LOL! Got to watch the baby poke her beak around the hole for a bit though before I went to bed.

It's been 11 hours now and nothing else has happened. But 4 or 5 other eggs were rocking a bit. I'm so excited!! This is my first hatch.

Yup--the air cell is in the large, rounded end--did I say that wrong the first time? And they should pip on that end too. I had one hatch out the wrong end last time, though, and it was fine in the end. She's six weeks old now, and healthy as can be.

Congrats on the pip!!

I'm green with envy--mine haven't begun yet. AAAAAAAA!! Hurry up PLEASE!!
big_smile.png

My first time too! Going into lock down tonight, due to hatch Tuesday. I've only 3 eggs left from 7 (free from a friend) - all the dorking eggs were infertile or dead, only dorking x ex-batt hybrids left now. Candled for the last time last night. This is really exciting! Hope I get something!
I like the towelling idea for the brooder box.
big_smile.png

Yayyy!!!
celebrate.gif
I am so glad to read that the duckling is still moving around!

I woke up this morning to one black copper marans chick completely out and half fluffed and also a pip in my frizzle egg. Today is the due date for these chicks and I still have six BCM eggs to hatch and the frizzle needs to come on out! Cause the lone little BCM is lonely.

Congrats on everyone's babys! Piccys please.

Back
Top Bottom