Who goes in time out

Pa funnyfarm

Songster
Jan 19, 2013
These bantams are quite a Learning curve from any chickens I’ve had in past. Admittedly only one time with a silkie mama who brooded chicks inside. But 3 different flicks raised in a brooder and never has this issue. Fifi the frizzle has 6 chicks who are now 4 weeks old. She hasn’t lost one and is a very protective mama. She and hers are in a 4x3 wire dog crate right beside the coop part in the shed. (With the 5. 1/2 week olds and their 2 moms inside I couldn’t fit a second crate.)
All of these are mix of eggs from my girls and with the breeds growing out interesting but one common is in each case an even mix of what are showing mottled pattern or all black. Some have spiky top feathers so either silkie pullets egg or cockerel was the polish crested or silkie. Last night when I was checking all for the night it looked like one of the smaller two light mottled has blood on head. I caught it long enough to check, wasn’t actually bleeding but plucked. Sprayed with both antiseptic and then dabbed blue kote and since it looked dark - I put back in for the night with the others and fifi. Was out this am before any up and set small pen they get extra outs in and watched. The two biggest solid ones grabbed it and tried to pluck its head. They also grabbed the second one and started the same. Both ran under fifi but as soon as she moves they ran back in.
my plan was to pull them but she was having no parts of me getting in distance. Tried the net and she jumped in feet first. in the tussle the 2 ran past and I grabbed them and stuck in a crate.
Ive been working on outside run so could keep an eye/ ear out. With the 2 smallest and 1 bigger mottled and the last dark one all seems peaceful.
suggestions for what’s next? Theyhave space and their crate has a dishpan nest, room all around it, a boot tray with climbing blocks and food and water and a long plastic pan with sand and ash and de
dust bath. Anything I can do to get them back with her? They haven’t picked at the same sized as them ones even tho both have fluff also ( they do too)
Better to keep them separate alone or pull the two small ones, give them back to mom and see if they will be ok with the 2 runts from the pair of hens?
In pics they are the ones who’s tails look forked. As soon as I can tell, all little cockerels will be rehomed. Grand can’t have Roos and with 4 who get on well I don’t want to rock the flock here. 2227B1BD-7F83-4325-AB71-C6E0D3AD69B4.jpeg 2DD7488E-D3A9-4D28-84AC-691E31A460C9.jpeg 0222FD2C-03D1-4E42-8C5C-626A3B3B3830.jpeg

Yes. The two who picked are in closed crate on top of the big crate the hen and remaining 4 are in. She called to them while she and the younger ones were out in the exercise extension

I have 10 pullets,and 4 cockerels 7 months old. Coop portion of shed is 4x8x6 tall, opens to 12x10 enclosed run with roof. I can make pens out in the run for days, temps dipped to 60 but days back up to 70s-80s but temps have been upper 30s at night the past week. Back up to forecast upper 40s this week. I really hoped to let the girls integrate - I made hiding spots, and a crate only little can get in. But 2 hens with 4 and this hen go at each other through the rat wire inside.
I also still have the two little runts the pair rejected in a brooder pen in the house.

These bantams are quite a Learning curve from any chickens I’ve had in past. Admittedly only one time with a silkie mama who brooded chicks inside. But 3 different flicks raised in a brooder and never has this issue. Fifi the frizzle has 6 chicks who are now 4 weeks old. She hasn’t lost one and is a very protective mama. She and hers are in a 4x3 wire dog crate right beside the coop part in the shed. (With the 5. 1/2 week olds and their 2 moms inside I couldn’t fit a second crate.)
All of these are mix of eggs from my girls and with the breeds growing out interesting but one common is in each case an even mix of what are showing mottled pattern or all black. Some have spiky top feathers so either silkie pullets egg or cockerel was the polish crested or silkie. Last night when I was checking all for the night it looked like one of the smaller two light mottled has blood on head. I caught it long enough to check, wasn’t actually bleeding but plucked. Sprayed with both antiseptic and then dabbed blue kote and since it looked dark - I put back in for the night with the others and fifi. Was out this am before any up and set small pen they get extra outs in and watched. The two biggest solid ones grabbed it and tried to pluck its head. They also grabbed the second one and started the same. Both ran under fifi but as soon as she moves they ran back in.
my plan was to pull them but she was having no parts of me getting in distance. Tried the net and she jumped in feet first. in the tussle the 2 ran past and I grabbed them and stuck in a crate.
Ive been working on outside run so could keep an eye/ ear out. With the 2 smallest and 1 bigger mottled and the last dark one all seems peaceful.
suggestions for what’s next? Theyhave space and their crate has a dishpan nest, room all around it, a boot tray with climbing blocks and food and water and a long plastic pan with sand and ash and de
dust bath. Anything I can do to get them back with her? They haven’t picked at the same sized as them ones even tho both have fluff also ( they do too)
Better to keep them separate alone or pull the two small ones, give them back to mom and see if they will be ok with the 2 runts from the pair of hens?
In pics they are the ones who’s tails look forked. As soon as I can tell, all little cockerels will be rehomed. Grand can’t have Roos and with 4 who get on well I don’t want to rock the flock here. View attachment 2346457View attachment 2346458View attachment 2346459
Thanks to seeing a post by Ridgerunner about some picking at different looking chicks, things are going well today. The two in time out came out late afternoon yesterday to find all light heads painted with blue kote. As were some similar sized rocks, a fake duckling and random spots on their walls. All rearranged and new 2x4 to roost on / or hide under. All happily chirping last night, and enjoyed their thru wire visits with the flock. Desensitize score ! E9A165CD-3DF4-4402-A084-508C0F205D32.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom