Who goes where?

Heffalump

Songster
Aug 18, 2018
Northern Ireland
For the last 8 months I've had a mixed flock of 8 LF hens, one banty cochin hen and a banty cochin rooster. They all get along well and they've been happy together like that.
The banty cochin is broody and is sitting on 5 banty eggs in a separate brooder.

This flock are in coop #1. It's 48 sq ft and their run is 700 sq ft. I could split this run in half and have two smaller runs if needs be.

I hatched some eggs 5 weeks ago and now also have 4 polish bantys (3 pullets, 1 roo) and 2 buff Orpington LF (1 pullet, 1 roo). I read about other breeds picking on polish and plucking out the feathers in their crests, so because of that and because they're bantys we built them a separate coop and run. I haven't measured the run properly yet but the coop is about 30 sq ft and at a guess I'd put the run at about 240sq ft. This is coop #2.

So the plan is to keep the original flock where they are in coop #1 and put the polish banty chicks in coop #2.

The two things I'm unsure of are

1- Do I keep the LF BO that have been raised with the polish chicks in with them in coop 2? It would mean 2 roosters in together but they will have been raised together which I've read helps. I haven't got any experience of more than 1 rooster in a flock though.

2- Where do I eventually put the banty cochin and her chicks once they're hatched and up a bit? The brooder has a run on it so they'll be ok in there for a while. I tend to think moving them into coop #2 with the polish bantys is beat.

3- Another option is to move the banty cochin roo out of the original flock and into coop #2 and move the BO roo and pulled into coop #1 with the original flock. It seems all neat and tidy and would mean all the LF were in one coop and all the bantys are in the other. I'm hesitant though. My origional flock is well established and the chicks I hatched are all getting along well so far, so maybe best not to mess around with It all too much. But then again I've been reading about the benefits of bringing up a rooster in a multi-generational flock. So maybe the BO would be better in coop 1 with the older ladies....?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I was worried about other flock members pecking at crested birds but haven't had a problem. I think the main thing with polish is their crest gets to a point where it impairs their vision, so they can't see things coming. I had a similar issue with some of my heavily feathered easter eggers - their cheek poofs were so big it was like having blinders on- they couldn't see would be trouble makers and then would make themselves an easy target. One of my best investments was a pair of curved scissors.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-4-Orange-Curved-Scissors-1-Each/34932916

They're sharp and I keep the curved point facing away from the bird- so chances that they get poked in the eye go way down. Main point being that as long as they can see, chances are they'll be OK. Once they could see and evade things got much better.

As far as whether to mix them - much will come down to the individuals in your flock. So I don't have a whole lot of advice in that area. Mine all live together so the mature roosters keep the younger ones in check - and they've been in the flock since they were little.

As for the broody and her chicks, I like to keep them in their own area until the chicks are fully aware of their surroundings and can get out of harm's way should mom get into a scuffle - usually I mingle them at 10 days to get past the gullible stage. If the flock can see them without being able to touch them, all the better during those first 10 days. It's hard to know where she'll fit best. A risk with the 1st batch of chicks is the broody might be intent on driving them away from her chicks. Again - it all comes down to the individuals.

I was worried about other flock members pecking at crested birds but haven't had a problem. I think the main thing with polish is their crest gets to a point where it impairs their vision, so they can't see things coming. I had a similar issue with some of my heavily feathered easter eggers - their cheek poofs were so big it was like having blinders on- they couldn't see would be trouble makers and then would make themselves an easy target. One of my best investments was a pair of curved scissors.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-4-Orange-Curved-Scissors-1-Each/34932916

They're sharp and I keep the curved point facing away from the bird- so chances that they get poked in the eye go way down. Main point being that as long as they can see, chances are they'll be OK. Once they could see and evade things got much better.

As far as whether to mix them - much will come down to the individuals in your flock. So I don't have a whole lot of advice in that area. Mine all live together so the mature roosters keep the younger ones in check - and they've been in the flock since they were little.

As for the broody and her chicks, I like to keep them in their own area until the chicks are fully aware of their surroundings and can get out of harm's way should mom get into a scuffle - usually I mingle them at 10 days to get past the gullible stage. If the flock can see them without being able to touch them, all the better during those first 10 days. It's hard to know where she'll fit best. A risk with the 1st batch of chicks is the broody might be intent on driving them away from her chicks. Again - it all comes down to the individuals.

Thanks, I will look into the scissors.

I can keep the broody and her chicks penned separately in a rabbit hutch and run for the first months. I just don't know where to put them long term. I can divide up the run in the #1 set up and make a 3rd coop if neither of the other 2 coops are an option.

Thanks, I will look into the scissors.

I can keep the broody and her chicks penned separately in a rabbit hutch and run for the first months. I just don't know where to put them long term. I can divide up the run in the #1 set up and make a 3rd coop if neither of the other 2 coops are an option.

Depending on your broody, she may be "done" with the chicks at 4 weeks of age. Sometimes they hold on to them a lot longer, but planning wise be prepared for her to say "off you go now" by week 4- anyway, point being, wherever you intend to integrate her chicks, I recommend adding her to that group when the chicks are about 10 days old - she'll do the work of integrating them for you. If you wait until a month or so, she may have already weaned them (and therefore will not protect them) Of course, do that when you have a bunch of time to sit and watch to make sure the scuffles are about posturing.

Depending on your broody, she may be "done" with the chicks at 4 weeks of age. Sometimes they hold on to them a lot longer, but planning wise be prepared for her to say "off you go now" by week 4- anyway, point being, wherever you intend to integrate her chicks, I recommend adding her to that group when the chicks are about 10 days old - she'll do the work of integrating them for you. If you wait until a month or so, she may have already weaned them (and therefore will not protect them) Of course, do that when you have a bunch of time to sit and watch to make sure the scuffles are about posturing.

Thank you, I never would have thought to do that.

Back
Top Bottom