Who has a foodsaver? Is it worth it? Do you like it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RubberChickenLubber, Jun 16, 2009.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Songster

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I'm thinking of gettting one to freeze veggies out of the garden. Are they worth it?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I LOVE my foodsaver [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Oohh!! I am curious too! I would love to be able to freeze some of the excess veggies from our garden and the occasional meat as well!

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I love mine, but I use the cheaper bags I get at Fleet Farm, They are actually heavier than foodsaver bags, the only thing you need to watch is make sure the top of the bag is dry were you seal it

5. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I hate canning, and I hate the freezer burn that happens with freezing in bags. From what I gather, the foodsaver keeps the food from getting freezer burn.

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I am interested in getting one as well.

I would add the questions:

1) Where did you find the best deal on both the Foodsaver and the bags?

2) Which model did you get?

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    yup, the only time there is a problem is if the seal fails, which is rare

8. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
  9. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

YES! Foodsavers are amazing! Basically, whenever you cook something like meat balls, you make a bunch and put them throught the saver! THen you have easy delicious food whenever. All you have to do is boil them! Also, if you go camping, it's great for that too. My grandfather and his friends used to go hunting in the Blue Mountains, and they would take foodsaver food-like steaks, spaghetti and meatballs, you name it! And omelets come out amazingly fluffy, even with storebought eggs. You break out the eggs, mix them up with whatever you want in the omelets, freeze them(the foodsaver sucks out liquid, so anything with juice has to be frozen first) then food saver them, and boil them when you're ready. One thing you can't do it with is bread. It sucks all of the air out, leaving you with something that often resembles a hockey puck.
    Wow, I sound like a commercial don't I!

10. Quote:That is what I would like to know, I had one years ago, and it was such a pain in the butt I sold it at a yardsale, but if you all think they really work for vegetables and meats, then I will reinvest in one!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: