who has a goose with their ducks?

Billy-jean

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I am seriously thinking of adding 1 goose(female) to my flock of 6 ducks and 2 call ducks. I wanted to ask who else has a goose with their flocks,and if it works out well? All my animals share the large enclosure together with their pond ect..I love geese and would really like one ..(this forum makes our mouths water after seeing everyone's pics!!)I alos have 6 silkies,,that mind their own business,but still get along with everyone. So is this set up ssuitable for a goose too?

Let me know if I should or shouldn't....thanks!!

The geese/goose would need to be let out of that fenced area so they could graze on grass all day as its the main part of their diet. Yes you can have geese, ducks, chickens together if they all have enough space when locked up to get away from each other. Even a single female goose can try and become broody in the spring time and although it may not last, she would mock defend her "nest area".

I am planning on increasing the size of that fenced area,,but wouldn't a goose/ducks just eat away at the grass eventually leaving none?

I do I do, I have an Embden gander 5 yrs old that has lived with my Muscovies since hatch day. He gets to forage all day along with our chickens and ducks. Geese would be happier on the green side of your enclousure.

They would eat down whatever grass was in the expansion - although it partially depends on climate and time of year. Here, in the spring, the geese can't keep up, summer and fall they keep the grass trimmed pretty nicely, but have to be rotated to fresh pasture every month or so depending on how much rain we get, and in the winter the geese eat faster than the grass can grow, so they end up in a mud pit if you don't move them. It is amazing how much grass they need to have. It would be best to have a large area, that is too big for them to eat down, or several different sections that you can rotate the birds onto after they eat down the grass in the current section. Raising geese is very similar to cows . . .

My geese, ducks, and chickens all hang out together very happily, but they have a large area, with lots of places to get away from each other, and plenty of forage, plus I have the option of moving them onto completely new grass whenever I want to due to my portable fencing . . .

ok,,so it might not work out for me then,,better not take something on that I can't handle. I definitely can't let them free range in the yard on the grass because of my dogs. I was hoping just having 1 as a pet with my ducks could work in the space I give them,,and soon adding a bit more . Thanks for your comments though,it helped make my decision!

Back
Top Bottom