Who has birds with beards and lives where there is REAL winter?

Cattle dog Mom

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
North central, WA
Do you have any issues with their beards getting wet when they drink and then freezing? (I read this was possible somewhere on some website and thought I would ask here.) (This is obviously for those that use any kind of waterer other than the nipple ones. LOL)

Too cold where I am for nipple waters. I just lost a hen who managed to get her ENTIRE head and neck soaked using a dome style heated waterer. Feathers froze. First couple days she was fine and resisted my attempts to help her. Yesterday she changed her tune and I was able to bring her in. Got her dried off, warmed up, and eating and drinking, but she died overnight while still in the house. May have been another issue that i didn't see, but going forward, any wet chicken in sub 0 temps is going straight inside whether they like it or not.

Nope! No problems in 7 years!

My birds;
20200928_163532.jpg

My winters;
snowbirds.png

(Those two are both ameraucanas too)

Twelve of my flock are bearded including the SF rooster shown. I've never had a problem. They drink from a heated base fount waterer kept at chest height and a bucket with horizontal nipples also kept at chest height.
Is this a real enough winter?
IMG_20190202_162130476.jpg

Twelve of my flock are bearded including the SF rooster shown. I've never had a problem. They drink from a heated base fount waterer kept at chest height and a bucket with horizontal nipples also kept at chest height.
Is this a real enough winter?View attachment 2498193
HAHAHA. Yes, that looks like real winter. Thank you. ( I know you know why I said real winter though. Many people think low temps of 40 is COOOOOLD! That is NOT COLD!)

HAHAHA. Yes, that looks like real winter. Thank you. ( I know you know why I said real winter though. Many people think low temps of 40 is COOOOOLD! That is NOT COLD!)
Sometimes we get down below zero. Michigan is unpredictable 🤣 .
We have a snowstorm rolling through tonight.

Back
Top Bottom