Who has Call ducks ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RAREROO, Dec 29, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I am thinking about getting some Call Ducks , Snowys and Pastels to start with but I would also be intersted in other colors if anyone has any or knows who does, I think I would prefer hatching eggs of maybe ButterScotch, Blue, Black bidded,chocolate and I may also be interested in other colors if you all know of any. I may also be interested in Black East Indies, Mandarins, Wood Ducks, Teals, ect....

Also please post pics of any small/bantam waterfowl that you have.

Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got them, but I've never sold their eggs.....they can be hard to hatch under the best of conditions let alone shipped.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Thanks Katy, What varieties do you have and what is that on in the center of the last pic ?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have mostly white. The one in the center of the last picture is a magpie.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have six calls: 3 grey (2 fe & 1 male), 1 black (fe), 1 butterscotch (male), 1 silver (fe) and a pair of Mandarins. I love mine. The male mandarin is sooooo gorgeous and my calls are the cutest little duckies. You'll love them too. Good luck and have fun with them!

6. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    I am interested in call ducks too. Does anyone know of a good place to get them?

7. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I have 2 chocolates the are still in the brooder hatched beginning of October! Too cute but we still miss our Pekin.

8. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Can call ducks free range with other duck like pekins without flying away?

9. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Unlike Pekins, Call Ducks are good flyers! I have seen people on this forum who say their call ducks fly around then come back. Mine stay in a predator proof pen. I had a pair shipped from Mrs. Turbo, and out of the several dozen eggs I've bought, only five have hatched. They are so cute!

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

These are my Calls the week I bought them. I don't have any recent pics of them, but they haven't changed much. They were 4-5 weeks old in these pictures, and have feathered out nicely since. They are now about 5 months old. The Magpie is a male and the Black-bibbeds are females.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I've compared to others' ducks, mine are pet quality. [​IMG] They're great animals, though. Never regretted them. I'm hopping to purchase eggs next season and host some new colors to my farm.

KMHunter, you might find some breeders via BYC but you can also look around near you. And most Calls, ducklings, and eggs are going to be sold in the spring and summer, which I believe is their mating season-time?

Mahsmaj, I free-range mine with my Muscovies and have yet to have a problem. They can fly well but haven't left home. The only problem I have is that I fear what would happen if a hawk ever came by, as Calls are small and don't put up as much of a fight as larger breeds, IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by