Who has good White Leghorns?

A.T. Hagan

Don't Panic
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
North/Central Florida
I want to get an order of White Leghorns in for January. These would be working birds, not show, so production and hardiness is where it's at. I'll be selecting breeding stock from them after they've finished a full lay cycle so I want pure W.L. rather than California Whites or Greys. Strain hybrids within the breed are OK.

Anyone have a hatchery they want to suggest?

Thanks!

I've heard a lot of good things about McMurray's and Ideal's. McMurray has customer reviews so that you can read about others experiences with the various breeds.
wink.png

I've never had any WLs myself, I prefer brown eggs.

I have only one white leghorn.I got her as a chick from another white leghorn that I bought from a guy who bought her when she was a chick from MCmurrays.

She is nice.............................and sweet.......and her name is WHITIE!

Hmmmm... The picture for the Hy-line W-36 is the exact same photo as McMurray's "Pearl-White Leghorns": http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pearl_white_leghorn.html Isn't that kinda odd?
hmm.png

Dang, after reading over McMurray's customer reviews I may add a few to my order... I've been getting many requests for eggs the last couple weeks for Christmas baking, but the hens I have aren't producing very well. Lots of white eggs is better than fewer brown eggs!

Hoovers hatchery has got the best leghorns. I have had some from MvMurrays and they laid descent but my girls have laid an egg evry single day. I usually get 8-10 eggs from 12 pullets in this cold weather. They are bigger than McMurrays too. I dnt know if thats good but its fine with me. My eggs range from large to jumbo. I have had about 7 jumbo eggs that I couldn't close the carton and the lay those maybe 1 time a week. They have very pretty feathers and nice red combs. Plus hoovers prices are a whole lot better than Mcmurrays. You can get a box of leghorns for about $45 from Hoovers. Good luck with whatever you choose.
http://hoovershatchery.com/html/white.html

I want to get an order of White Leghorns in for January. These would be working birds, not show, so production and hardiness is where it's at. I'll be selecting breeding stock from them after they've finished a full lay cycle so I want pure W.L. rather than California Whites or Greys. Strain hybrids within the breed are OK.

Anyone have a hatchery they want to suggest?

Thanks!
The best strains are those from big companies.
In my opinion, hy-line whites (especially the 80) and dominant leghorn d 229 are the best by far.

Back
Top Bottom