Pics
Meet Bob....JC Name Bob Is Back.....6 year old OTTB, last race was 7/7/18...had the privilege of accompanying my daughter to pick him up yesterday! He'll enjoy a little time off, learning how to just be a horse and coming down from racing conditioning, then she'll set out to figure out what their new adventures will be.
View attachment 1470388
View attachment 1470396
(His back end looks funny here because he was feeling antsy and not wanting to pose for pics)

After losing her sweet mare, also an OTTB, to colic a little over a year ago DD took a break from horses all together and is now ready to work with a new partner.

Awww he's beautiful!! Good luck to your DD with their new adventures!

okay i got a question for you horse people :)

anyone do multi species grazing? what animals do you run with your horses?

right now we have two horses on maybe 8 acres (of mostly weeds) thinking of added either sheep or goats and then maybe a cow or two for meat.

Nice horse! I have an OTT mare, and she's a sweetheart!
We used to have our hoses out there with our oxen, but haven't for a long time. They oxen have horns, and the horses used to chase them around sometimes.
One of my mares tried to kill a lamb who escaped into her paddock, years ago. Whatever that critter was, she wanted it dead!
Do be careful about any introductions you make!
Having the different species rotate through several fields sequentially works very well! They will eat slightly different plants, and also it helps with parasite control.
Mary

Okay I know I need to stop looking and again not actually gonna buy but this horse sounds literally perfect in the description, almost too good to be true? And is it me or does that drop from his shoulders/withers to his back look pretty huge? And he looks slightly skinny? Maybe not though. Idk. But most importantly, is it just me or do his feet look really overgrown? Especially in like the 5th pic

https://scranton.craigslist.org/grd/d/trail-horse-deluxe/6632535476.html
This horse is seriously aged at 15, has led an active life, is too thin, especially for a QH (must have a lot of TB). I think some of those pics are from his younger, better days, to be honest... Looks like a race bred QH. Lots of training, but too, too, thin... Your non-horsy neighbors would soon be reporting him to animal control because he is too thin to be a proper yard ornament (because that is the mind-set of the non-horsy). This horse would be fine if you seriously want to provide a retirement home and try to feed him up, but that could be difficult... I have a 30 yo QH with more muscle on her than that supposed 15 yo and she looks twice as good as him. For me at least, this horse would not be worth the hassle. Sad that they would dump him in his old age, but that's what people do with horses... It is sad.

This horse is seriously aged at 15, has led an active life, is too thin, especially for a QH (must have a lot of TB). I think some of those pics are from his younger, better days, to be honest... Looks like a race bred QH. Lots of training, but too, too, thin... Your non-horsy neighbors would soon be reporting him to animal control because he is too thin to be a proper yard ornament (because that is the mind-set of the non-horsy). This horse would be fine if you seriously want to provide a retirement home and try to feed him up, but that could be difficult... I have a 30 yo QH with more muscle on her than that supposed 15 yo and she looks twice as good as him. For me at least, this horse would not be worth the hassle. Sad that they would dump him in his old age, but that's what people do with horses... It is sad.

Yeah, I think some of those pictures must be older and I never thought about him being so active and used a lot early on possibly causing problems later. I guess it'd be like driving a car hard. Could have the same amount of miles used lightly or be driven hard like speeding or slammimg on brakes or fast on turns, or whatever and really wear it down. Assuming it's the same? And thankfully we are set back in the woods so nobody would see him unless they pulled into our driveway

Fifteen shouldn't be old!
Mary

True

Back
Top Bottom