Thanks for all the replies and info and discussion and everything, guys. Really interesting and useful. Loved that article. Didn't realize so many other disciplines also posted.

And thanks for all the detail and information on that paint horse. I never even realized or noticed most of that stuff! I figured she was just untrained or something, didn't realize maybe unhealthy too. I do wonder though if some of those photos are older? Since they said they had to put weight on her? So maybe from before they did. But still not an easy keeper if she drops weight like that.

And yeah, I probably wouldn't be going away much anyway as I also plan on having kind of a whole farm/zoo anyway. Chickens, goats, horses, dogs, cats, possibly gerbils, fish pond or tank, parakeets, etc. Possibly rabbits or ducks or something too. So it's no issue cause I either won't be leaving much or will hire someone to do everything so getting someone for horses is no problem.

That said, I also love music and travelling and want to go to lots of concerts and travel, etc. So I probably won't be doing the farm thing for a while. Although concerts aren't exactly travelling for long periods; could drive back same night or be gone one day, so I could get auto feeders for chickens or something. Although staying up late isn't exactly compatible with farm life lol

I'll figure it out though. Probably won't even have that for a while.

As for the hay, wow didn't realize it was so heavy. I'd probably get a hernia lifting it or something haha

And food, idk if it's true, but I read somewhere recently it's better for horses to have hay continuously or at least get multiple smaller meals throughout the day rather than getting a lot once or twice a day? Because they are designed to graze 24/7. So I was thinking of hay 24/7 and pasture most of the day too then stalled at night or just 24/7 pasture with a run in shelter but I'm paranoid about predators. Although the biggest we have are coyotes and foxes. But I still still need to hire someone to turn them out I suppose.

Sorry, it probably seems like I am arguing every single point or something but not meaning to, just wondering or too detail oriented I guess lol

Thanks for all the replies and info and discussion and everything, guys. Really interesting and useful. Loved that article. Didn't realize so many other disciplines also posted.

And thanks for all the detail and information on that paint horse. I never even realized or noticed most of that stuff! I figured she was just untrained or something, didn't realize maybe unhealthy too. I do wonder though if some of those photos are older? Since they said they had to put weight on her? So maybe from before they did. But still not an easy keeper if she drops weight like that.

And yeah, I probably wouldn't be going away much anyway as I also plan on having kind of a whole farm/zoo anyway. Chickens, goats, horses, dogs, cats, possibly gerbils, fish pond or tank, parakeets, etc. Possibly rabbits or ducks or something too. So it's no issue cause I either won't be leaving much or will hire someone to do everything so getting someone for horses is no problem.

That said, I also love music and travelling and want to go to lots of concerts and travel, etc. So I probably won't be doing the farm thing for a while. Although concerts aren't exactly travelling for long periods; could drive back same night or be gone one day, so I could get auto feeders for chickens or something. Although staying up late isn't exactly compatible with farm life lol

As for the hay, wow didn't realize it was so heavy. I'd probably get a hernia lifting it or something haha

And food, idk if it's true, but I read somewhere recently it's better for horses to have hay continuously or at least get multiple smaller meals throughout the day rather than getting a lot once or twice a day? Because they are designed to graze 24/7. So I was thinking of hay 24/7 and pasture most of the day too then stalled at night or just 24/7 pasture with a run in shelter but I'm paranoid about predators. Although the biggest we have are coyotes and foxes. But I still still need to hire someone to turn them out I suppose.

Sorry, it probably seems like I am arguing every single point or something but not meaning to, just wondering or too detail oriented I guess lol
Hey, you love animals and have a dream! I was like that, too! Still, you have to merge that dream with a practical dose of reality, if you want to succeed at keeping and maintaining any of those mentioned animals... And there is a learning curve to all those different species... They will teach you to care for them, but unless you are prepared with knowledge beforehand of their needs and requirements, there will be casualties. I have always kept some dogs and cats and raised purebred varieties of both, raised horses, had chickens, a rabbit (given to me by someone that tired of caring for it), kept a mute swan, some emu birds, had fish tanks and smaller outdoor ponds (maintenance nightmare). You think fish are easy? You have no idea... Think "life support system", that is what fish tanks are, and very hard to keep everything balanced in those... Constant water testing and adjustments, cleaning and treatment for diseases (fish get an amazing number of illnesses and they are prone to developing them at the least little environmental change). And it can be quite challenging to treat those problems... My recommendation for you is just go to college and get a job working for a zoo or other animal keeping facility. You will need a degree though, if you want to advance in that specialty beyond cleaning pens. Right now, I have 1 horse left close to 30 years old, still beautiful, a small flock of sheep, some chickens and turkeys and cats and dogs. I am retired and it takes most of the day to take care of them all. Wouldn't consider getting anything else right now and this horse is my last, can't outlive another one. Be carefull what you wish for! Keeping all the different species you mentioned at once is a full time job for 4 people and you are only one! I have to wonder if you have ever kept any animal? Horses are very individual in their feeding requirements, some are terrible pigs and will eat themselves to death if given the opportunity, all are pretty wasteful, and throw their food on the ground and trample it, some constantly eat things they shouldn't and are prone to colic. Pastures require a lot of maintenance, if horses are left in them too long, soon there will be nothing growing but noxious inedible weeds. You will need at least 3 pastures, so you can rotate the horse from one to another. Add tractor to your list of expensive acquisitions! And yeah, good idea to save that dream for when you are older and settled, don't tie yourself down too much while you are young and want to travel, socialize, and experience what life has to offer! When the time comes, start with one kind of animal and master the care of that one before collecting a menagerie of different species that will overwhelm you with their care and expense.

Just for curiosity’s sake, what animals have you owned before/do you own now?

Different breeds of horses have very different gaits, I have found... I had a little Arab mare that had a trot as smooth as glass and never had to post on her, but the quarter horses I have owned are just built differently. For them, the lope takes the place of the trot, unless you want to be jack hammered and have chipped teeth. The lope in quarter horses is very smooth and easy riding, not too fast, and gets you and your horse there comfortably.

Some warmblood registries in Germany will add Arabian blood to their horses to improve rideability. In Dressage competition where you stop posting the trot at the higher levels, a smooth ride is a definite plus!!

Hey, you love animals and have a dream! I was like that, too! Still, you have to merge that dream with a practical dose of reality, if you want to succeed at keeping and maintaining any of those mentioned animals... And there is a learning curve to all those different species... They will teach you to care for them, but unless you are prepared with knowledge beforehand of their needs and requirements, there will be casualties. I have always kept some dogs and cats and raised purebred varieties of both, raised horses, had chickens, a rabbit (given to me by someone that tired of caring for it), kept a mute swan, some emu birds, had fish tanks and smaller outdoor ponds (maintenance nightmare). You think fish are easy? You have no idea... Think "life support system", that is what fish tanks are, and very hard to keep everything balanced in those... Constant water testing and adjustments, cleaning and treatment for diseases (fish get an amazing number of illnesses and they are prone to developing them at the least little environmental change). And it can be quite challenging to treat those problems... My recommendation for you is just go to college and get a job working for a zoo or other animal keeping facility. You will need a degree though, if you want to advance in that specialty beyond cleaning pens. Right now, I have 1 horse left close to 30 years old, still beautiful, a small flock of sheep, some chickens and turkeys and cats and dogs. I am retired and it takes most of the day to take care of them all. Wouldn't consider getting anything else right now and this horse is my last, can't outlive another one. Be carefull what you wish for! Keeping all the different species you mentioned at once is a full time job for 4 people and you are only one! I have to wonder if you have ever kept any animal? Horses are very individual in their feeding requirements, some are terrible pigs and will eat themselves to death if given the opportunity, all are pretty wasteful, and throw their food on the ground and trample it, some constantly eat things they shouldn't and are prone to colic. Pastures require a lot of maintenance, if horses are left in them too long, soon there will be nothing growing but noxious inedible weeds. You will need at least 3 pastures, so you can rotate the horse from one to another. Add tractor to your list of expensive acquisitions! And yeah, good idea to save that dream for when you are older and settled, don't tie yourself down too much while you are young and want to travel, socialize, and experience what life has to offer! When the time comes, start with one kind of animal and master the care of that one before collecting a menagerie of different species that will overwhelm you with their care and expense.

Thanks, again, for the all advice. I don't think fish are easy though, I've had them before and currently :p I actually think most other animals are easier because they don't require constant water testing and changes. And I always do extensive research before acquiring any animal. That is one thing I am adamant about and it has actually caused me to not buy certain animals. I hate when people just impulsively buy animals and then can't or don't take care of them. It's not fair to the animal so I could never do that.

Speaking of the researching before acquiring animals thing, yes I have had animals before. Have had and/or been around them my whole life.

Grew up with a dog and a cat and have a different dog and cat now and I also had several parakeets as a kid along with fish. We had the usual goldfish most kids have and a few bettas. Then I learned how to actually take care of them aka not bowls so my last betta was in a big 10 gallon planted tank and I have 4 goldfish now that are in a 20 gallon long. The tank is way too small now so I need to upgrade soon and/or build a pond which we've always wanted to do but when I got them they were tiny. They're about a year and a half old now. Oh and I have 7 chickens. Lost one to a hawk in the fall and lost one at 6 days old but other than that they've thrived. They're going to be 3 years old in October.

I likely won't get all those animals all at once. I thought I wanted it but I think I might get overwhelmed because I've gotten a little overwhelmed with the fish a few times cause of all the water changes needed. So I think I might stick with dogs, cats, chickens, qnd eventually horses. And maybe some sort of indoor bird or rodent. I used to have a rabbit too, same situation, someone didn't have the time for him, but he passed away. But I liked having a rabbit. I don't know that I would though. And actually, I don't know if I would get more cats either. I love them but I am technically allergic and I HATE changing the litter box. Our last cat was short haired and it didn't bother me but this one is long haired and her hair gets everywhere and gets all in my nose and mouth when I snuggle her which is very annoying. I love her a lot though but next cats are either gonna be short haired or outdoor cats or both. I'm much more a dog person. In fact, I love training them, walking them, playing with them, etc. They're just fun because you can do so many activities with them whether it's just hiking, biking, or walks or whether it's a dog sport, or training, or whatever. I love everything about it. I think I'm going to try to become a dog trainer and/or dog walker. I already walk my brother and his fiancé's puppy 3 times a week and I usually also train and play with her. I'm also going to read tons of books and take some online classes I had bought that have like tons of video seminars and online material and stuff. Might go to some conferences or seminars too and/or a dog training school because obviously you can't learn everything from books, videos, or online classes. But I can at least expand my knowledge as much as possible and learn different theories and stuff.

As for school, since this kind of relates, I actually just graduated from college in May. It's only an associate's but still. Took me forever to get though haha I'm 24 now, graduated high school in 2012, went to a private 4 year right after, was only there a year and one semester (and I didn't even finish that semester) before I dropped out because I was really depressed and failing every class, took almost a year off, started at a local community classes, but I think I only took like 2 classes and 1 the next semester, before taking another year and a half off and starting again, with only 2. Then the next 3 semesters I finally went full time and did 3, 3, then 4 classes this semester. Anyway, long story short, it basically took so long because I took a ton of time off and was only taking 2 classes most of the time.

Anyway, that was in Behavioral Science so I'm thinking of going to a 4 year one and getting a bachelor's in behavioral science or animal science or something similar because I do think it will help me in my dog training career knowing the science behind everything or I could use it in a different way and maybe become a therapist or something in the psychology field. I think therapy/counseling might be too much for me and bad for my mental health so I probably wouldn't do that but idk. Animal therapy might be a good way to go. Or at least training a therapy dog and visiting places even if I don't become a full on animal assisted therapist.

So anyway, I am 24, definitely not a little kid, and have thought extensively about all of this. I would never rush into anything but all I've ever wanted to do is something with animals. Well, or music. I did have a phase where i thought I wanted to be a music journalist and/or photographer and I do still think that would be fun but the market is already so saturated because everyone can make their own blog these days and plus it's a lot harder to get into than I initially thought and a lot more work. Loving music isn't enough. Plus I did try it once and I stressed myself out setting unrealistic deadlines of when I'd have interviews up and stuff like that. I felt like if I didn't have it up the next day or day after I was failing. Anyway, back to animals. Animals are much less stressful and easier to work with imo.

I just wanted to clarify because I realize with the way I have worded some of my posts and all the overly ambitious dreams I have posted, I may have come across as a bit childish and/or caused confusion.

I do appreciate the advice though and I did not think about needing to rotate pastures so thank you for that reminder because we only have just under 3 acres and of course not all of it is pasture because there is the house and garage, decks, gardens, chicken coop, etc. etc. And most of it is also woods, so yeah, guess horses are definitely out at this property. Although the front yard is huge and all grass. Maybe I could have a dry lot with hay and just let them on the grass sometimes. I don't think I'm ready for one though and am hopefully moving out soon so I don't want to spend all that money and time getting an area ready for them only to move out right after.

Oh and for goats, I originally wanted them as pets and brush clearers because we have a lot of weeds, so I think I am going to hold off on goats both here and maybe even on a future property because they just seem like an expensive, time consuming pet. If I had females it might be worth it but I was thinking wethers because I really have no desire for milk or anything so they wouldn't really have a purpose so seems like a waste of money. Even though they are adorable. I might change my mind though if I ever have a farm because I suppose I could sell the babies or milk products like soap or something. That's a lot of time too though raising the babies and making the soap. I don't really have much interest in that. I'm much more interested in chickens, dogs, horses, and smaller house animals. And vegetables. Love growing vegetables.

Just for curiosity’s sake, what animals have you owned before/do you own now?

We have always had dogs and cats and then I also have chickens and goldfish. I've had parakeets, more fish (bettas, goldfish and some guppies), and a rabbit in the past.

Right now I have a 6 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix, a 7 year old cat (she'll be 8 next month), 4 goldfish in a tank inside but hopefully building a pond soon, and 7 chickens. A Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. They're 2 1/2. One BO was the one I lost to a hawk, my favorite chicken, and the second BR I lost as a chick.

So yeah, probably more detail than you wanted to know lol

Oh and I used to ride horses off and on as a kid. We'd ride for a while then stop going. Then I started again like 4 or 5 years ago but I eventually stopped going there too.

I am hopefully going to start lessons up again soon, maybe lease when I'm ready and if I like the barn and horses there, and possibly try to get a job working at a barn or volunteer at an animal shelter or something.

Some warmblood registries in Germany will add Arabian blood to their horses to improve rideability. In Dressage competition where you stop posting the trot at the higher levels, a smooth ride is a definite plus!!

Wow that's really interesting. Why do they stop posting?

And have you ever heard of an Irish Sporthorse? I think that's what it's called.

Thanks, again, for the all advice. I don't think fish are easy though, I've had them before and currently :p I actually think most other animals are easier because they don't require constant water testing and changes. And I always do extensive research before acquiring any animal. That is one thing I am adamant about and it has actually caused me to not buy certain animals. I hate when people just impulsively buy animals and then can't or don't take care of them. It's not fair to the animal so I could never do that.

Speaking of the researching before acquiring animals thing, yes I have had animals before. Have had and/or been around them my whole life.

Grew up with a dog and a cat and have a different dog and cat now and I also had several parakeets as a kid along with fish. We had the usual goldfish most kids have and a few bettas. Then I learned how to actually take care of them aka not bowls so my last betta was in a big 10 gallon planted tank and I have 4 goldfish now that are in a 20 gallon long. The tank is way too small now so I need to upgrade soon and/or build a pond which we've always wanted to do but when I got them they were tiny. They're about a year and a half old now. Oh and I have 7 chickens. Lost one to a hawk in the fall and lost one at 6 days old but other than that they've thrived. They're going to be 3 years old in October.

I likely won't get all those animals all at once. I thought I wanted it but I think I might get overwhelmed because I've gotten a little overwhelmed with the fish a few times cause of all the water changes needed. So I think I might stick with dogs, cats, chickens, qnd eventually horses. And maybe some sort of indoor bird or rodent. I used to have a rabbit too, same situation, someone didn't have the time for him, but he passed away. But I liked having a rabbit. I don't know that I would though. And actually, I don't know if I would get more cats either. I love them but I am technically allergic and I HATE changing the litter box. Our last cat was short haired and it didn't bother me but this one is long haired and her hair gets everywhere and gets all in my nose and mouth when I snuggle her which is very annoying. I love her a lot though but next cats are either gonna be short haired or outdoor cats or both. I'm much more a dog person. In fact, I love training them, walking them, playing with them, etc. They're just fun because you can do so many activities with them whether it's just hiking, biking, or walks or whether it's a dog sport, or training, or whatever. I love everything about it. I think I'm going to try to become a dog trainer and/or dog walker. I already walk my brother and his fiancé's puppy 3 times a week and I usually also train and play with her. I'm also going to read tons of books and take some online classes I had bought that have like tons of video seminars and online material and stuff. Might go to some conferences or seminars too and/or a dog training school because obviously you can't learn everything from books, videos, or online classes. But I can at least expand my knowledge as much as possible and learn different theories and stuff.

As for school, since this kind of relates, I actually just graduated from college in May. It's only an associate's but still. Took me forever to get though haha I'm 24 now, graduated high school in 2012, went to a private 4 year right after, was only there a year and one semester (and I didn't even finish that semester) before I dropped out because I was really depressed and failing every class, took almost a year off, started at a local community classes, but I think I only took like 2 classes and 1 the next semester, before taking another year and a half off and starting again, with only 2. Then the next 3 semesters I finally went full time and did 3, 3, then 4 classes this semester. Anyway, long story short, it basically took so long because I took a ton of time off and was only taking 2 classes most of the time.

Anyway, that was in Behavioral Science so I'm thinking of going to a 4 year one and getting a bachelor's in behavioral science or animal science or something similar because I do think it will help me in my dog training career knowing the science behind everything or I could use it in a different way and maybe become a therapist or something in the psychology field. I think therapy/counseling might be too much for me and bad for my mental health so I probably wouldn't do that but idk. Animal therapy might be a good way to go. Or at least training a therapy dog and visiting places even if I don't become a full on animal assisted therapist.

So anyway, I am 24, definitely not a little kid, and have thought extensively about all of this. I would never rush into anything but all I've ever wanted to do is something with animals. Well, or music. I did have a phase where i thought I wanted to be a music journalist and/or photographer and I do still think that would be fun but the market is already so saturated because everyone can make their own blog these days and plus it's a lot harder to get into than I initially thought and a lot more work. Loving music isn't enough. Plus I did try it once and I stressed myself out setting unrealistic deadlines of when I'd have interviews up and stuff like that. I felt like if I didn't have it up the next day or day after I was failing. Anyway, back to animals. Animals are much less stressful and easier to work with imo.

I just wanted to clarify because I realize with the way I have worded some of my posts and all the overly ambitious dreams I have posted, I may have come across as a bit childish and/or caused confusion.

I do appreciate the advice though and I did not think about needing to rotate pastures so thank you for that reminder because we only have just under 3 acres and of course not all of it is pasture because there is the house and garage, decks, gardens, chicken coop, etc. etc. And most of it is also woods, so yeah, guess horses are definitely out at this property. Although the front yard is huge and all grass. Maybe I could have a dry lot with hay and just let them on the grass sometimes. I don't think I'm ready for one though and am hopefully moving out soon so I don't want to spend all that money and time getting an area ready for them only to move out right after.

Oh and for goats, I originally wanted them as pets and brush clearers because we have a lot of weeds, so I think I am going to hold off on goats both here and maybe even on a future property because they just seem like an expensive, time consuming pet. If I had females it might be worth it but I was thinking wethers because I really have no desire for milk or anything so they wouldn't really have a purpose so seems like a waste of money. Even though they are adorable. I might change my mind though if I ever have a farm because I suppose I could sell the babies or milk products like soap or something. That's a lot of time too though raising the babies and making the soap. I don't really have much interest in that. I'm much more interested in chickens, dogs, horses, and smaller house animals. And vegetables. Love growing vegetables.

We have always had dogs and cats and then I also have chickens and goldfish. I've had parakeets, more fish (bettas, goldfish and some guppies), and a rabbit in the past.

Right now I have a 6 year old Black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix, a 7 year old cat (she'll be 8 next month), 4 goldfish in a tank inside but hopefully building a pond soon, and 7 chickens. A Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. They're 2 1/2. One BO was the one I lost to a hawk, my favorite chicken, and the second BR I lost as a chick.

So yeah, probably more detail than you wanted to know lol

Oh and I used to ride horses off and on as a kid. We'd ride for a while then stop going. Then I started again like 4 or 5 years ago but I eventually stopped going there too.

I am hopefully going to start lessons up again soon, maybe lease when I'm ready and if I like the barn and horses there, and possibly try to get a job working at a barn or volunteer at an animal shelter or something.
Hey, never TMO for me, I feel like I know you better now, which is a good thing... And yeah, I don't have fish anymore, that just got to be too much, and they kept spawning babies too, over populating the tanks. And goldfish are just out, they create a lot of nitrates which in turn creates a lot of algae, even with a planted tank. And they just keep getting bigger so they have to have an ever bigger tank until? Another complication with the fish thing, was I found out my well water was full of nitrate, so was having to buy bottled water to pour into the fish tanks! Glad I'm not doing that anymore. Do have mosquito fish in my horse tank, but that is it. Have a new well now, but I think I'm done with fish. Took care of my daughter's goldfish while she spent a year in Japan in college, was glad to give it back when she came home. Had Betta fish for awhile, but they only live 4 years or so, gone now, not getting anymore, though they were pretty nice fish, quite beautiful, kind of had personality. Anyway, I hope you realize all your dreams and they bring you happiness! But for everything in life "there is a season"... Wish you well!

Did you know that ad is for the unborn foal from that mare?

Yes I did but I had just never heard of that breed before. Upon Googling it though, it seems it's an actual breed and traditionally a cross between Irish Draught and TB? But sometimes warmblood instead of TB now? And with the Arabian stallion, it seems similar to what Peaches was talking about with introducing Arab blood to warmbloods to improve the trot. Wonder if that's what they are doing here. Or maybe endurance.

It is crazy though for an unborn foal.

Hey, never TMO for me, I feel like I know you better now, which is a good thing... And yeah, I don't have fish anymore, that just got to be too much, and they kept spawning babies too, over populating the tanks. And goldfish are just out, they create a lot of nitrates which in turn creates a lot of algae, even with a planted tank. And they just keep getting bigger so they have to have an ever bigger tank until? Another complication with the fish thing, was I found out my well water was full of nitrate, so was having to buy bottled water to pour into the fish tanks! Glad I'm not doing that anymore. Do have mosquito fish in my horse tank, but that is it. Have a new well now, but I think I'm done with fish. Took care of my daughter's goldfish while she spent a year in Japan in college, was glad to give it back when she came home. Had Betta fish for awhile, but they only live 4 years or so, gone now, not getting anymore, though they were pretty nice fish, quite beautiful, kind of had personality. Anyway, I hope you realize all your dreams and they bring you happiness! But for everything in life "there is a season"... Wish you well!

Thanks. I figured I should clarify.

Never realized goldfish produced more nitrates. Maybe that's why my tank gets dirty so easily... we have town water but I've never tested it so idk. I add the water purifier stuff though or safestart whatever it is.

I kind of want to sell them because it's a lot of work but I've gotten attached after having them for a year and a half and watching them grow from teeny little fish from the feeder tank into like 4 or 6 inch huge fish. Idk.

Thanks you though and yes, very true. If I don't get something now, I will later or maybe not but it'd be okay.

Back
Top Bottom