Who has tame ducks?

Amykins,
How did you tame your call duck? Mine is WILD!!!
wee.gif

Did you have yours since they hatched?

One of my ducks called Valley is very sweet and huggable but I have had her since a day old. I suppose I just treated her like a human baby being very living and huggy. She is spoilt rotten though.

My other duck Daisy just forgets all about her fear of people when she sees food. She is an Indian runner duck and I had her since 3 and a half months. That's how I tamed her, she sees me as food and just gets used to the fact that I am going to grab her and hug her.

They r both now 8 months

Here's a pic of our tame 6 week old ducks, Arlo Boy and Daisy Doo. Arlo is a magpie duck, who has just pronounced herself a girl, with a very loud girl-quack (despite us being convinced she was a boy) and Daisy is a Welsh Harlequin (who's 'scarily' quiet...).
My daughter raised them from a day old. We're first-time duck owners and we live in the suburbs, so it's been a fascinating, challenging, hilarious and very joyful experience! Both ducks are extremely tame and are used to cuddles (which Daisy tolerates and Arlo laps up like a big baby!). They imprinted on us as babies and followed us absolutely everywhere, which was beyond gorgeous! However the extensive pooping became a problem as they grew and we soon had to convince them of the joys of being outside!
Initially they weren't happy about being separated from us, but they were relatively content as long as we could call out to them and they could see us through the house windows. My husband has built them an awesome duck house under our decking, complemented by their own mini-pool with easy-access ramp (he was sucked in by their charms and has gone out of his way to spoil them!).
With the new provisions and their growing independence, they're now happy to spend the day pottering back and forth between their pool, the food and the garden, occasionally just peeping and quacking to us to check that we're still around.
With all the love and attention they get, I expect that they'll always be really tame. Can't wait for the first eggs (come on Daisy - we're sure you have a girl-quack hiding in there somewhere...)!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom