Who has these breeds?

ScrambledChick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Pepperell, MA
I have 3 hens, 1 Black Star, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Delaware. They are about 9-10 weeks old and I've only had them for 10 days. I'm looking forward to seeing what their personalities are like and getting to know them. For those of you that have the same breed(s) what are yours like? Are you happy with the breed or would you get another? I know they are all individual and different, I'm just curious to see what others say. They weren't even the breeds we wanted in the beginning but that is what we ended up with. We originally liked Silkies and Americana but had a hard time finding both in my area.

I have a white orpington and a black star. Both are super laid back and completely non agressive. I have 5 white chickens that were sold to me as cornish rock, but I think they're delawares (maybe it's the same breed?) and they are rediculous! They follow me wherever I go, my husband calls me mama duck and them my ducklings!

I have silkies and Ameracauna, they are great birds and compliment each other well. Delaware are great heritage breed chickens, a lot of people would like the chance to own some. I suggest finding a roo and breeding them if your female turns out gorgeous etc. I have a black star roo, very different from the pullets. He is absolutely great. We bought him and 3 other assorted Brown laying straight run chicks from.the local feed store a few months. His name is little scrappy and even though he is a rooster and we were looking for hens, we are absolutely keeping him because he is the best, so smart and well...scrappy. I would love a dozen chickens with his personality. The only still unidentified chick from.that fees store excursion moat recently was called a buff orpington Pullet. She is so docile and sweet. I've never had one before, but I love her. So all around pleased. Enjoy your chicks! You can always have silkies or Ameracaunas shipped to you.

yippiechickie.gif
Congratulations on your new chickens! I've got 4 black star hens in my flock and they weren't what I was looking for but they needed a home so I took them and I'm very happy with them! I've had them 3 years now, they were already a year or so old when I got them and weren't friendly at first but with some treats and time they're now very friendly. One especially will come to be picked up and all come a running when I call them! They get along well with the other girls in the flock too.And they lay some beautiful brown eggs! They lay almost every day. I've also had some buff orpingtons before and they are wonderful too. Friendly, great layers, and such a lovely color!I agree with silkiemomma, you can always find some silkies and ameracaunas and have them shipped to you. If your wanting true ameracaunas though I'd make sure and find a reputable breeder for them. I got some "ameracaunas" a couple years back and they turned out to be easter eggers. My EE's are great though so I'm not too dissapointed about it! Anyway keep that in mind. Good luck with your girls!

i've got a BO roo who is the sweetest boy out of the 4. such a good tempered boy and keeps his prized girls safe and happy. he's the biggest of them all however low amn on totem.
also have 11 red stars who i would buy all over again. gret girls with the funniest personalities

We can't have roosters in my town and the limit on chickens is 6, but we will probably add another 2 or 3 hens in a few years. (kind of like how I started out with one dog and now have three) I would like to get chicks then, problem is you can't be sure of the sex of the Silkies. I guess I would have to take my chances and see. From what I have read it's better to do that than add older birds to you current flock.

I have never had a problem integrating older birds into a flock. Maybe that has to do with numbers? I have 35+ birds in the coop outside and they have a huge fenced in yard that they free range during the day..I've bought a few hens home since I have had the original flock, and they all seem to be very accepting. Maybe when it is a more intimate sized flock it causes problems? It is easy to fins relatively young silkie pullets if you're willing to pay a little more. It saves you the distress of trying to rehome cockrel, and having to get 5 or so just to make sure you get a Pullet. If you're not looking for show quality, it opens you up to more options. People have silkie hens on the CL all the time in my area, or you could have a few shipped to you off of here. Depends on your budget etc. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom