Who here is into Photography?

@RottenFlower-- Those photos are captivating. Good photography is like a trap for me; I cant stop going back to look at the photos..
wee.gif

Last edited:

I couldn't get amazing, award worthy photos with these two, but these are our two new chickies, Pepper and Pippa.

@RottenFlower-- Those photos are captivating. Good photography is like a trap for me; I cant stop going back to look at the photos..
wee.gif
Thank you @Chickenfan4life !

I am a hobbyist, and shoot dogs that are available through local rescues. It's really rewarding to me. :)

I love looking at my photos over the years and seeing how far I've come, but knowing that there's still SO much more to learn!

I am not a very experienced photographer, but I'm really wanting to get better at shooting photos. I use my mom's camera: a Nikon coolpix P100 10.3 MP. Here are a few I've taken. What improvements / suggestions / advice would you give? Thanks!

I once saw an amazing up-close eye shot once several years ago; it was a of a Bighorn Ram showing half of his face (focusing on the eye) with his horn making a perfect curve around the left side of the photograph. I don't know if you can imagine that, but ever since then, I've been trying to get a good eye focus shot. I don't think I'm quite there yet. Any tips? (I hope I typed that clearly!)

(Yes, his eyes were a little caddywampus, but it didn't affect him at all :) )

With me and photography, I have learned several things.

#1--Angle is almost everything! I try to capture my images from interesting points of view, and try to avoid generic angles. This doesn't always show, but it can take a fellow photographer to see how much work the person put into capturing that shot! Furthermore, what angle you snap your photo at can determine just about everything--expression, lighting, and it adds depth and inspiration to your photo.

#2--Lighting! The other thing I keep in mind is the lighting for the image. If the subject of my photo, say, a flower, sits just in front of a setting sun, this gives you a few lighting options. You can get the photo with a backlight, which adds an interesting effect to the image but tends to wash out the subject (or at least it does with me); or you can angle yourself so that you are photographing the other side of the flower, which faces the light. You can also get various sides of the flower, to get fascinating angles with even more awe inspiring lighting!

#3--Subject!--Were you ever bored in school? The subject just wasn't interesting enough, despite the requirement to learn it, and you just wound up going, "mehhhh, boring"?
That's how photography subjects are, too! If I don't have a specific subject that I need to photograph, I try to find interesting, less common things to photograph, and make them interesting by adding perspective with lighting and angle. I take photos of things such as ivy, bark, fungus, buildings, logs, grass, flowers, bugs, random structures. I occasionally photograph my dogs/other pets, and when I do I try to spice them up with unique lighting and backgrounds.

Which leads up to my next lesson--

4#--Backgrounds! Ever read a character bio or personality, possibly for a grammatical roleplay, online? Or even in a book? Doesn't a fascinating, unique background really add flavor and definition to that character? Almost the exact same tactic is--or, at least, can, be applied to photography! And it can help bring your subject's true colors and personality out. Is your subject a living creature, such as a dog, cat, small pet, or human? If so, what does your subject love? Put those things into the background, as props!

A horse-loving girl could be photographed with her horse, in her riding outfit, in her barn, or pasture, or you could combine that all! A dog that loves water and tennis balls? Stand him half-deep in a pond and give him a tennis ball, and, with the help of some commands, he can be perfectly posed for a picture that will permanently capture his true personality!

#5--Props!!--Props are optional, but, like backgrounds, can add personality and backstory to the photo. Especially if they are the things your subject loves.

And, at last..

#6--Candid Photos!-- This can be the best way to subtly capture the full truth of your subject's personality. Without having your subject pose at all, just snap a few photos of them as they do something they always do. This way, when someone sees this photo, it has a story, because you are given the opportunity to explain what's happening in the picture and why. Candid shots of younger children doing things they normally do is a great way to bring back memories when you show them the pics, some years later.

Hope this has helped. Here are some tips for increasing your chances of a better photo--

Snap multiple shots in a row and don't stop until you have several of the same subject!! This is important! If you have a rare opportunity, such as a bee on a flower, you know that bee is only there for a fleeting moment! You don't have the time to stop and check the shot you've taken. Just fire away and check after your opportunity is gone. (Also, it's a good idea to have a 6-8 gigabyte card for this, as it wont fill up so quickly!)

Tripods help! Camera tripods--if your camera can use one--are a great way to get a stable photo of something far away or a larger subject. It wont be too good at getting a photo of a bee, but might just be perfect for getting a shot of a dog posing for you!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom