Who is Laying Eggs?

Kirtus

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
I am trying to figure out which hen is laying egg and which are not.

We have a total of 33 birds 5 roos and 28 hens. We are getting a varying amount of eggs per day as few as six this week and as many as 11 (Three days straight).
The last 6 days:
Sunday 11
Monday 11
Tuesday 11
Wednesday 6
Thursday 6
Friday 8

The birds range from 7 to 8 weeks old.

Here is my plan (please suggest other solutions if this is a bad plan):
Separate the eggs out by day and try to match them up to see if the eggs are coming from the same birds or if all the hens are laying just not daily.

What I would like help with is two fold:

1. Is this a good plan?
2. Could someone post pictures of eggs from the same hen. I am trying to figure out if the eggs are vary similar or basically exact.

Any other thought would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kirtus

Why do you need to Know?
What makes you think I can figureout if my eggs are coming from the same hen if you cann't. If your giving them good food, light and a clean home they will all lay soon. Every day most likely with out fail.

Last edited:
I am trying to troubleshoot to see if I am doing everything correctly. I believe that I am. Maybe I am just being to impatient but I was expecting a larger daily harvest by this point. And as far as matching the eggs I was just to figure out how identical the are. I read that they are like finger prints. When I look at them I believe I can tell but I am very new to this (three weeks) and was hoping to benefit from the wisdom of this group.

If can help great if not that is OK too.

Thank you.

When mine first started laying evey day they changed. One was round as a ball then got longer and darker in color. It took a week or more to get semi-normalized.
I just put all mine that had been layed for the last week in the incubator.
But I do know I have 10 hens and pretty much every day I get 10 eggs but it took till they were 10 weeks old for that to happen.

When mine first started laying evey day they changed. One was round as a ball then got longer and darker in color. It took a week or more to get semi-normalized.
I just put all mine that had been layed for the last week in the incubator.
But I do know I have 10 hens and pretty much every day I get 10 eggs but it took till they were 10 weeks old for that to happen.

Sounds like I am being a little impatient. Thank you for your sharing your experience.

My egg size and shape varies from day to day so I think it would be hard to match the eggs up. If its that important to you than I would separate all the birds into cages to see who's laying.

Back
Top Bottom