Who is my killer?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by browning6, Dec 6, 2012.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I turned the chickens out at 7 this morning as usual. And my wife went out at about noon to find a ton of feathers on the ground. We are new to the chickens so she thought somebody was moulting. When I got home I noticed the feather pattern were from the same hen and the 8 week old chick from the hen is gone. The feathers are spread from inside the coop to about ten feet outside the coop.

She isn't torn up just missing a ton of feathers from her back chest and wings.

So what got my little barnevelder chick? I live in the Central Valley of ca, out in the country. I know we have coons, opossum, hawks, owls, coyotes and foxes around but I have never seen them. There is a big Tom cat but I rarely see him.

My guess is something got the chick and the hen came in defense and lost some feathers but got away.

Any ideas?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    ton of feathers on the ground to me generally means hawk. When a hawk gets one of mine it looks like a feather bomb went off. =(

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Are there any defensive wounds on the chicken? I would think for a hawk to have been the culprit it would have had to have pinned the chicken down to tear our feathers and there would be some talon punctures???

4. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    i didn't see any wounds on the hen but all of the feathers seem to be hers. I don't see any of the chicks feathers around. I thought hawk also except some of the feathers are inside the coop! Of course maybe some fell off after she ran in there. I wish now i would have taken a few pictures of the crime seen for you.

Thanks again for the info.
    BYC is great for us rookies, keep it up.

Steven

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by