Who is stealing my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuckertori, Nov 29, 2011.

1. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    About 3 weeks ago, my Ameracauna stopped laying one day. No slowing down...just stopped. This morning I noticed one egg in the coop from another chicken but was all dressed for work and left it there. Tonight, it is gone! So...someone seems to be stealing them. Who has experience with this? Any ideas what it might be and suggestions how to resolve it?

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    snakes??...racoon???.....can something get into your coop???

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

You might have a chicken that is eating the eggs, a rat or other animal sneaking in and eating/taking the eggs, or it could always be a person. Some advice, don't leave eggs lying in the henhouse, it can make a chicken curious and lead to egg eating, and it can be a temptation for other predators.

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    This raises a question for me. I collect regularly (some would say obsessively...), and I often take an egg away from a hen who is sitting on it in a state of afterglow. They look at me like I am Cruella de Ville. Is it okay to take eggs away from hens while they're still sitting? I am hoping some of them turn out to be broody...

(Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.)

5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:get a camera and good luck

6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    look for bums, crackheads, or kids [​IMG]

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

My Doberman took one right out of my basket on the way to the house when I wasn't looking today. I turned around and she was eating it, little stinker! I was mad!

8. tuckertori

tuckertori Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Bums, crackheads or kids? What kind of neighborhood do you live in! Funny thought but on occassion we have had homeless people living in the woods behind our house. Hmmmmm.

9. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:[​IMG] If it might not be true!!! Winter here though.. girls slow down a lot... I mean A LOT!

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I take my eggs out from under chickens.

I have had crows steal my eggs. I have caught them flying away with the eggs in their mouth.

If something is eating an egg in the nest, there will be some evidence, such as yolk staining.

Put some golf balls in the nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by