Who is using a "shower board" floor in their coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by will hunt for food, May 10, 2009.

1. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    How is it holding up?

How did you tack it down?

Do you have pictures?

I am real close to closing in the coop, and I am about ready to lay down vinyl, linoleum or shower board. I am most interested in using shower board. THANKS!

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I have linoleum flooring and a side panel that I have on hinges, I push the poop right out into a cart and take it to the compost bin. The floor was real cheap.Easy to clean.

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I used shower boards for the walls, but linoleum for the floor. I don't think the shower board surface is as durable as the linoleum. I'm afraid it would get scratched up more easily, eventually compromising the water repelency. It also is quite slick, which is not good for the chickens.

4. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I'm still debating using it on the walls, though I know for sure that I will be using it behind the roosts. I doubt it would be good on the floor, however.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

What's a "shower board"? Is what I have showing on My BYC Page (see) what you're talking about. If so, I have it on walls and floor of both my coops, and as far as I'm concerned, there couldn't be anything any better.

EDIT: BTW, I got those 4x8 sheets at HomeDepot for about $14 each.
    BTW #2, note on my second coop for silkies, I covered the white board from Home Depot with a tarp. That makes cleaning out the deep litter every now and then a snap. All I have to do is pull/slide out the tarp to a cart and take it to the garden all in one quick step.

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by