Who knits?!

I do knit too but this is a bit out of my league. I like to do things which I can finish quickly and don't have to work on it for months.
Exactly why I like to make baby hats/ sweaters/ small crocheted “critters”
I have written up many pattens for things that I could wear/ use.... but haven’t tackled any of them 😂
Maybe one day. But. Tonight. My poults are crying, and I have chores to wrap up. So the projects need to wait. Oh well!

I have a proposition for you 🤣 can anyone make these? Or do you have an etsy shop? Cause i would totally buy them! View attachment 3625250
I knit, I try to crochet. Intarsia is something I’m working on.

That’s neat. And seems like a fairly easy pattern to work up.

Size though? That looks small, even for a baby.

I might try to work something like that up on a dishcloth before I tried a hat.

Attachments

• EC47C167-B86A-4BCB-836D-B77DD912A8B6.jpeg
    EC47C167-B86A-4BCB-836D-B77DD912A8B6.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3AED8C43-C544-4A33-AB8D-ECD24E6BCC92.jpeg
    3AED8C43-C544-4A33-AB8D-ECD24E6BCC92.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 3
  • BC2F7688-B6A1-45DF-9821-F0608D56C3A9.jpeg
    BC2F7688-B6A1-45DF-9821-F0608D56C3A9.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 2
I do knit too but this is a bit out of my league. I like to do things which I can finish quickly and don't have to work on it for months.
I used to think that myself but if you can knit then this type of design is not nearly as hard as it looks. Once you place the first line of different colored yarn for the pattern, then you just build off of that.

I have done colorwork that is all across the piece, but I have never gotten a single color design on one side look right. I also hate when the different color yarn shows through when you weave it in.

I have to learn a technique to anchor the floating row for this hat below I am making this winter, maybe that will help me to make it look better.

1693657025328.png

This is Richard Boxhall's work. The pattern is called Spruce.

I knit. How many do you want? By when? How big is it? And do you care what yarn it is used? That looks like Caron's Simply Soft which is 100% Acrylic.
Well I just want two one for my crazy self and one for my mother she's just as nuts 🤣 adult size something not itchy I guess lol but warm cause Ohio gets cold lol and I'm not worried about a time frame whatever fits into your life

Well I just want two one for my crazy self and one for my mother she's just as nuts 🤣 adult size something not itchy I guess lol but warm cause Ohio gets cold lol and I'm not worried about a time frame whatever fits into your life
@saysfaa

I’m legit curious. How would/do you adapt this picture to pattern and pattern to size?

Just by counting stitches, it would be a tiny chicken on an adult hat. And the problem I’m having is, how do you scale it? Like, without stretching the bottom, compressing the top, and distorting the chicken?

This seems like it could be an evolution in my knitting skills. I’m fine with following a pattern, but adapting my own?

Insights would be greatly appreciated.

...two ... adult size... [whenever] fits into your life..
It wouldn't be done before Christmas.

It had a good chance of that if it was the size of what is there. That would be a lot less knitting even if it were plain (all one color).

I think I better not commit to this. If I end up trying it and it is successful then I will see if you are still interested.

@saysfaa

I’m legit curious. How would/do you adapt this picture to pattern and pattern to size?

Just by counting stitches, it would be a tiny chicken on an adult hat. And the problem I’m having is, how do you scale it? Like, without stretching the bottom, compressing the top, and distorting the chicken?

This seems like it could be an evolution in my knitting skills. I’m fine with following a pattern, but adapting my own?

Insights would be greatly appreciated.
The first attempt would be looking for a hat pattern that had a design with about the same proportions of both length/width and figure/background. Then counting the stitches of the chicken design and multiplying to get the size of the design in the hat pattern.

It wouldn't be done before Christmas.

It had a good chance of that if it was the size of what is there. That would be a lot less knitting even if it were plain (all one color).

I think I better not commit to this. If I end up trying it and it is successful then I will see if you are still interested.

The first attempt would be looking for a hat pattern that had a design with about the same proportions of both length/width and figure/background. Then counting the stitches of the chicken design and multiplying to get the size of the design in the hat pattern.
Gotcha.

And not to keep pestering, but would this chicken pattern be something you’d do intarsia, or fair isle?

It could be a lot of stitches to carry yarn behind, but it would save weaving a lot of ends. Particularly if you put the chicken on 2 or even 4 (size dependent) sides of the hat.

Thanks for the input. I consider myself an advanced beginner, and I always appreciate insight.

Gotcha.

And not to keep pestering, but would this chicken pattern be something you’d do intarsia, or fair isle?

It could be a lot of stitches to carry yarn behind, but it would save weaving a lot of ends. Particularly if you put the chicken on 2 or even 4 (size dependent) sides of the hat.

Thanks for the input. I consider myself an advanced beginner, and I always appreciate insight.
Personally, I’d run the “chicken” yarn up the rows/ more like fair isle.
And I’d probably start w a chicken “wash/ dish” cloth to work out the pattern.

For a pattern like that, I’d lay it out on graph paper to be able to play w proportions- and then write out the row patterns after if you are more comfortable reading a pattern that way.

Once you figure out the chicken, you can grab a simple hat pattern in a single color, and “insert” the chicken, fairly easily.

At least that is how I would approach it 😊

And.... I don’t typically use acrylic yarn anymore. I find it gets fuzzy/ balled up even with careful care and no washing....
Acrylic blends seem better IMO
Maybe that’s me.
It’s super soft. Easy to work with. And I’m allergic to sheep wool. I can’t even handle smart wool shirts-
I have gone to alpaca for my hats....which isn’t cheap, but is very warm, and wears very well...
Finding specific/ bright colors can sometimes be an issue. But I know a spinner who also raises alpacas, and she does dye some of her white fleeces-
She’s not cheap for sure, even compared to the higher end yarn stores, but if anyone wants some amazing alpaca yarn, or a custom weight, lmk and I can connect you.

I’ll be interested to see what everyone else thinks about yarns in that regard, though!

Back
Top Bottom