Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Copper Maran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2018
Utah, USA
We have a new flock, they’re all beginning to lay gradually. The leghorn and one of the Easter eggers have been laying for a few weeks now. We have 4 others still to start. However, we got a new layer today! I’m just confused on who it could be. Any ideas? The color of the egg (right, next to a leghorn egg) is a pearly cream. We have a buff, a copper maran, an Easter egger, and a wyandotte that we’re still waiting on. So out of those? Any guesses?

Attachments

• B4A89926-C24C-4014-982C-547E324C0D22.jpeg
    B4A89926-C24C-4014-982C-547E324C0D22.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 9
I realized that my "Black Copper Marans" hen was NOT a Marans when she finally presented her first egg. Feed store mix up with the chicks -- she was actually a Jersey Giant. Check your the bottom of your Marans' feet for yellow -- if they are, you've got a Jersey girl!

But....my Cuckoo Marans lays very light eggs, and her first eggs were almost white, and like a golf ball in shape. They darkened up, but still not darker than a RIR.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but congrats that you have a new layer today!

Thanks everyone! Fairly sure of breeds at this point. The blue copper marans was from a personal breeder, so she’s fairly certain. And they all match up with those breeds as far as characteristics go. That’s why I was so confused with this egg because I thought it didn’t match! So weird. We’ll keep an eye out and watch to see who lays it. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom