Who laid it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by misssassyandthechicks, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Buff Orpington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wyandotte

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Copper Maran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Easter Egger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. misssassyandthechicks

misssassyandthechicks Chirping

Apr 20, 2018
    Utah, USA
    We have a new flock, they’re all beginning to lay gradually. The leghorn and one of the Easter eggers have been laying for a few weeks now. We have 4 others still to start. However, we got a new layer today! I’m just confused on who it could be. Any ideas? The color of the egg (right, next to a leghorn egg) is a pearly cream. We have a buff, a copper maran, an Easter egger, and a wyandotte that we’re still waiting on. So out of those? Any guesses?

Attached Files:

Killer Tomato likes this.
  2. Matieus27

Matieus27 Songster

Oct 13, 2018
    Owasso, OK
    Well none of those really fit but if i had to venture a guess i would say Easter egger

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Doesn't look like from any of them, but the buff Orpington would lay a lighter brown egg, so will a Wyandotte. Are you sure of your breeds?

4. Killer Tomato

Killer Tomato Songster

Mar 2, 2017
    Willamette Pass, Oregon
    I realized that my "Black Copper Marans" hen was NOT a Marans when she finally presented her first egg. Feed store mix up with the chicks -- she was actually a Jersey Giant. Check your the bottom of your Marans' feet for yellow -- if they are, you've got a Jersey girl!

But....my Cuckoo Marans lays very light eggs, and her first eggs were almost white, and like a golf ball in shape. They darkened up, but still not darker than a RIR.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but congrats that you have a new layer today!

misssassyandthechicks likes this.
  5. Abriana

Abriana Sugar Cookie

My Wyandotte lays eggs like that

6. Abriana

Abriana Sugar Cookie

She is a GLW

7. misssassyandthechicks

Apr 20, 2018
    Utah, USA
    Thanks everyone! Fairly sure of breeds at this point. The blue copper marans was from a personal breeder, so she’s fairly certain. And they all match up with those breeds as far as characteristics go. That’s why I was so confused with this egg because I thought it didn’t match! So weird. We’ll keep an eye out and watch to see who lays it. Thanks! :)

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  9. misssassyandthechicks

Apr 20, 2018
    Utah, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: