who laid this

garp94

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
Wrong Island, New York
I have assorted brown egglayers plus one leghorn that lays cream colored eggs. I also have a 4.5 month old EE pullet. About 3 weeks ago i found one, full sized, WHITE egg in the slightly elongated shape of one of my brown layers. I didn't know if that was my EE starting or not, and figured time would tell. Well, no more white eggs.

Can a brown egg layer occasionally 'forget' to put the pigment on the eggshell? This was as white as it gets, not cream or light tan.

On occasion a brown egg layer will have a white egg. It happens rarely, so I just tease my girl that she ran out of "ink" and needs a refill. Over their laying season, the eggs get progressively lighter, my eggs are more tinted now than colored, even my Marans is lighter, today her egg was light brown w/ dark speckles. My girls have been laying eight months now and the eggs are lighter. Isn't neat to know which girl lays what egg?

Thanks

I've noticed their eggs get lighter with time, but to have a completely white one, then go back to the brown was puzzling.

I'm glad to know it's not unheard of.

Sorry, I meant only in the hatchery/mutt sense. I probably didn't even need to mention the 'leghorn' for my question, but she is the only one with white earlobes, and even she hasn't laid such a white egg as the one i asked about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom