Who "lives with bats" instead of against them?

aPrimitive

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 23, 2013
Do you work with bats? Build bat houses to use them as night-time insect control and use the guano as fertilizer??

We have bats. I love them - when they're outside. Not so much when they get in the house. I don't have bat houses, but we live on a farm with lots of old buildings and dead trees so they have plenty of shelter.

We have bats flying around here on summer evenings. We put up a bat box 3 or 4 years ago, they never moved in. The hawks like to use it as a perch as they drool over our 4 hens so I may take it down.

I read the location of the house has a lot to do with whether or not they will move in.

I read the location of the house has a lot to do with whether or not they will move in.

I've read that too! Varies with the species but generally east or southeast, 10' - 15' up, some like shade...some not. Mine faces Southeast about 10' up, 5' if they measure from the shed roof, if they're that picky they can live elsewhere. Apparently they have!
smile.png

I actually read southwest. I doubt the shed roof would matter. I know they need to be about 10ft off the ground to avoid predators and that they like the sides of buildings due to less predication being able to get at them. The shed roof may be the reason they don't move in easier for predators to get to them, but Idk
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom