Who needs a rooster...

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Who needs a rooster when you have a hyper alert Easter Egger? The girls were happily foraging when all of a sudden Bunny (the red Easter Egger) stood up straight and GROWLED!! Legit never heard a chicken make that noise before!! Then some of the other chickens went deeper under cover and started softly growling too. Then they COMPLETELY froze like a statue for like 5 minutes. Bunny was still frozen 10 minutes later while some of the other girls had started moving and pecking a bit but they were all still mostly frozen and then huddled together. I actually thought maybe Bunny was having like a seizure or something cause she was frozen so long and I didn't see any threat but then my dad called and said a HUGE red tail had just flew out of the bushes in the front and landed in the pine trees back here. So I guess they are SMART! They lost their sister to a hawk last fall so I guess now they are extra vigilant. I felt bad they were still so frozen though but they did the same thing when a hawk attacked them 2 summers ago. No deaths then but a lot of feather loss (almost got one) and they were frozen in the bushes. I found the victim completely frozen next to a huge pine branch in the back and the others were in a bush in front but one actually went deep into the woods and was missing for about 2 hours. So I guess it's normal for them to be worried for a while after? Tried to get them back in the run but they don't wanna go lol bread worked to get them unfrozen but then they decided to make up for lost time :lau

20181104_151528.jpg 20181104_152539.jpg 20181104_152553.jpg 20181104_152604.jpg

Usually the top hen will assume the role of protector if there isnt a roo present. Its pretty amazing how they work together. Good looking birds btw.

The funny thing is I didn't even think she was the top hen! I think my Barred Rock and Australorps are but they didn't even seem to notice till she alerted them :lau then the other EE and I think an Australorp started growling too. She's just very alert and aware and a bit flighty. It is pretty amazing though! They all just froze so still. And thank you!! :)

She looks like my ee who is the top hen and ironically named hawkburd.

Aw I bet yours is pretty! Bunny has a sister, who you can kind of see in the pictures, who is white and black laced instead of red. Her name is Diva. I don't know for sure that they are biological sisters, probably not since they're hatchery birds, but they're all sisters to me or "the girls" lol

Hens do not have to be dominant to give predator alarms.

That makes more sense. So it's just whoever sees the threat first?

Aw I bet yours is pretty! Bunny has a sister, who you can kind of see in the pictures, who is white and black laced instead of red. Her name is Diva. I don't know for sure that they are biological sisters, probably not since they're hatchery birds, but they're all sisters to me or "the girls" lol

That makes more sense. So it's just whoever sees the threat first?

Hens that do it here see it first and have kin close by they are protecting.

Back
Top Bottom