Who plants their own duck food?

Bokbok

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
I know about getting enouph protein from a pre-packaged source, and about growing chook food? What about duck food for laying hens? Has anyone successfully supplemented their diet? Or even provided their complete dietary needs by growing certain things?

I am looking in to that. I am thinking about trying to get some duck weed. It isn't a complete food for ducks, but it is high in protein.

If grass counts, I'm in!
wink.png

Well yeah...LOL

Gotta wait for Spring for that crop.

Anytime it gets a little nice and some shoots start to pop up, the ducks are there to make sure it doesn't get too long
big_smile.png

I grow stuff for my ducks. I can't grow enough to replace feed, so it's mostly just treats.
I grow sprouts for them in paint strainer bags, as well as collard and mustard greens in the cooler months. And give them sweetpotato greens in the summer.I let them hunt bugs and forage in the warmer months when there is lots growing.
It does help lower the feed bill, but I can't grow enough to cover all the feed.
They are more pig than duck.

i grow them spring salad mixes planted every 2 weeks for 6 weeks and it helps alot with the feed bill... also i have been thinking about rasing goldfish to put in there pond. when i buy them at the pet stores they go crazy:p

Feeder goldfish in the pond is pretty entertaining for about 30 seconds. That's all it takes for my ducks to chow them all...LOL

Back
Top Bottom