Who says cedar is bad for chickens???

@Suespetchickens

Cedar has some oils in it that can be harmful. With solid pieces of wood it's not a problem, but the shavings have a much larger relative surface area, which will allow the oils to evaporate, causing problems.

I used to have a huge chicken pen when I was younger. It has two large cedar trees in it, the birds loved the trees. They dug around in the fallen needles, and many especially the Guineas would roost in the tree. I swear that some of the birds has a slight cedar taste when we fried them up. I never had any problems with cedar and chickens. I think the main issue is young birds exploring eating anything then can get down their throat. Eating cedar, or pine chips could end them. But I have used cedar and pine chips, and I have never had any cedar problems. Possibly it isn't problems because of cedar, but it is a problem in spite of the fact that cedar was used ?, just thinking out loud. It is easy to pick out a culprit and blame it sometimes. As mere humans we are sometime wrong. That is my humble 2 cents worth.

I know this is an older post, but just wanted to get somethin clarified... Now, I didn't search through all 13 pages of this topic, but I didn't see what I'm about to ask. When you guys talk about cedar, are you talking about the genus cedrus? Here in Texas we have what is locally known as mountain cedar, but is actually a juniper tree. Even the more common red cedar, used extensively for its aromatic characteristic, is still a juniper. So, is mountain cedar (juniper) going to be bad for chickens like actual cedar is??? If all cedars (including the junipers) are bad, then why do chickens roost in them and take dirt baths in their needs?

What about cedar as a building material? We are hoping to repurpose an old play structure as a coop. I was totally excited until I realized it is made if cedar. I'm hoping that maybe just the shavings would be too aromatic?

Hopefully this will clear up any confusion:
"Don’t confuse western red cedar lumber with eastern white cedar (aromatic cedar) shavings. Western Red Cedar Lumber is absolutely, 100%, NOT DANGEROUS TO CHICKS or FULL GROWN HENS."
http://urbancoopcompany.com/build-chicken-coops-cedar/

Also, I think the fact the distinction between lumber and shavings makes a lot of difference as well. Since chickens are on biped versus quadrapeds, I would imagine they are much less susceptible to fumes released even from shavings, assuming decent ventilation in the coop, then a rabbit, guinea pig, or other rodent. Imho of course.

My entire coop is built from cedar. Well we call it cedar here in tx but I think it is technically juniper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As several have said shaving are what pose a risk of heavy evaporation of potentially harmful oils and then a concern indoors not out. Completely not applicable to discussion of lumber, or being around the trees outdoors.

I guess I am going to find out for myself as to whether or not cedar is bad for chickens. I have a small pen, open top, covered by chicken wire that has several yuoung birds in it. They are about 6 weeks old now, and growing. I had no hay or anything else at the moment, so I put in a small amount, a "dusting" of cedar chips to help with odor. I have a screened in porch with a pen in that area that they are going to be moved to.
To Flock Master, the avatar with the horse, is funny. I found it very amusing.

My entire coop is built from cedar. Well we call it cedar here in tx but I think it is technically juniper?

Yours is fine.

There are at least four main types of cedar , as I understand it the one people do not want to use as bedding/shavings is the aromatic cedar (Calocedrus/Libocedrus decurrens), due to the phenol oil discharge. Fresh cut lumber on the inside of the coop might not be a good idea either. This is the wood that Lane Furniture used to make their Hope Chests (blanket storage) and smaller collectible jewelry/trinket boxes with (in the sixties I think).

Two more trees commonly called cedar are the Western red cedar (Thuja plicata) and Red Cedar (Juniperus sp.) which I believe is what you have in Texas. I believe the others are not considered toxic like the incense cedar. But I don't think shavings use is recommended for any of these either.

Then there is also the true cedar, Cedrus sp., Deodar Cedar is one example of that genus. Same cautions as the other two.

Here is a good link that explains the risks of using cedar and pine softwood shavings for bedding for RABBITS. As a previous poster said, Chickens probably aren't as sensitive as rabbits

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

Hope I helped clarify this a bit and not make this more confusing. I know this has been a subject for discussion on BYC for some time, and maybe it's my server but I'm not finding a lot of new clinical research on it right now (Edited to add), maybe because shavings are not as bad as I'd read elsewhere? Idk, so just trying to put the proper names out there so it's easier to the research and decide for yourself. I'm a plant person, not a chicken expert.

Maybe this will make it easier for people to research.....

Incense Cedar / Calocedrus (Libocedrus) decurrens CAUTION; contains Phenol oil compounds

Red Cedar / Juniperus species

Western Red Cedar / Thuja plicata

True Cedar / Cedrus species

Chipper

Last edited:
Can Cedar bedding harm chickens?
Dr. Richard Evans, a veterinary pathologist who is also associated with the Orange County (CA) Department of Public Health, responded to this question by discussing laboratory findings and practical experience in the use of cedar shavings as has been found by study and anecdotal evidence involving rodents, cage birds and poultry.
Dr. Evans states that the extracts of cedar and other soft woods, such as pine, contain a number of aromatic (volatile) compounds including hydrocarbons, cedrene and cadrol. Naphthalene (the active ingredient in moth balls) is also a member but is a distinct compound.
These compounds are known irritants of skin, and cause not only irritation, but the degeneration and death of the cells in the respiratory tract. Once this destruction is set in motion, the animals' defensive barrier is eroded, enabling infection by various microorganisms and secondary microbial infections of the lungs. The medical literature notes increased rates of respiratory infections found in poultry which is raised with cedar shavings in the poultry house. Owners of caged birds have noted similar infection rates, particularly in poorly ventilated areas.
In addition to the skin irritation and respiratory tract damage, these compounds activate enzymes in the liver which results in abnormal metabolism of certain drugs, something especially critical for animals undergoing antibiotic therapy or surgery.
Dr. Evans notes that there is also some evidence to indicate that reproductive rates may be affected, and cancers promoted, through prolonged contact with these compounds. And, as with any other chemical or disease condition, the very young and very old are especially at risk.
Symptoms of irritation include clear to discolored fluids discharged from eyes and nose (which may be mistaken for a regular microbial respiratory infection), sneezing, coughing, constant blinking or other signs of light sensitivity, irregular breathing (dyspnea) and possibly regurgitation. In severe cases, the animal may fall unconscious with or without convulsions. Secondary bacterial, viral and fungal infections are all the more likely to attack once the cells of the respiratory system are damaged and destroyed.

Taken from www.anapsid.org/cedar.html; the site is geared toward reptiles, but the research was on rodents and birds, and they were extending it to caution for reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom