Who ships peachicks?

PRDK

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2015
Hi- I am looking for just a plain India blue...no special patterns or anything.

I would like 2-3 chicks...around 20+/- a few $ each . I know that shipping will add to the cost. I am in Vermont.

Some of the breeders posted last year don't have websites attached to their profile, or their websites are not currently active.

I am looking for someone who currently breeds, your site, and timeline on when they might be available.

I see online they are of various ranges for chicks with a minimum of 6-12 birds...and I 1, don't want that many birds, 2. Do not want to spend a small fortune for these birds to then have to deal with selling them myself.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello PRDK. Welcome to this forum. Not sure how experienced you are with raising peafowl so if you are extremely experienced then I want to apologize for my comments but looking for peachicks in January being shipped to Vermont is actually not a viable option. The hatcheries sell them for a small fortune in set numbers is for the sole reason ok keeping the peachicks alive during the shipping and for all the grief they get from customers finding dead peachicks when opening the box.

You need to keep in mind that the breeding season for peafowl in Vermont and surrounding states starts in mid April meaning the earliest chicks will hatch in mid May. The breeding season does start earlier in the South and South West but expecting someone to ship two or three chicks for twenty dollars each is pretty much a pipe dream as shipping from warm to cold will most likely end bad. If you check the Vermont Craigslist you might be able to find some six month old India blues but no doubt they will sell for a bit more than twenty dollars each.

I have five breeding age india blue hens that hopefully will produce some chicks this summer and I will post in Vermont's Craigslist.

Good luck with your desire to own some India blues. They are well worth the effort necessary to get them. FC

I sell and ship from my NPIP tested and AI certified clean flock, but you are not likely to find anyone who will send you a couple of chicks on the cheap. Peafowl are not like chickens, they are not cared for like chickens, and have a totally different set of criteria that makes them very special. They can be quite fragile and hearty at the same time. Chicks are shipped during the hot time of the year and in sufficient numbers to help them stay warm in transit, that is why breeders want to ship at least six at a time. Depending on the weight and size of the box and distance traveled, the postage can double the price of the birds. Most eggs are sold for at least ten dollars and most times more, half of them will not develop, so the value of the eggs more than double after hatching. All this being said, like FC said above, watch for deals in the local area if you want to find peas on the cheap.

I would like 2-3 chicks...around 20+/- a few $ each . I know that shipping will add to the cost. I am in Vermont.

Some of the breeders posted last year don't have websites attached to their profile, or their websites are not currently active.

I am looking for someone who currently breeds, your site, and timeline on when they might be available.

I see online they are of various ranges for chicks with a minimum of 6-12 birds...and I 1, don't want that many birds, 2. Do not want to spend a small fortune for these birds to then have to deal with selling them myself.

Thank you!
Three things. First only peafowl you could get this time of year are yearlings or older. If you're wanting to only have 1-2 peafowl they will have to be yearlings or older which don't come anywhere close $20. Second because peafowl are exotic people will pay more. I sell Indian Blue peachicks $20 but that's because of my market area. Once I get big enough I'll start shipping. Third peachicks can be stressed out easily and they don't hold warmth until they are well over a few months old.

Last edited:
Yes- I am sorry, I should have edited the post to say I don't have a time frame (eg:today), rather just looking for contacts and leadsfor this time of year. I use to work for a zoo where they were kept free range and had a stable feral population in the towns around the zoo. The zoo encouraged staff with the resources to take them home...and I do know they can run pricier than chickens, but not cheap. The market is flooded with peafowl, depending on location. I am looking for diversity on the farm, no for shows, or breeding out myself. Thanks all!

Thank you!

Just wanted to let you know that someone from Brattleboro is looking to re-home a very nice looking mature white peacock. Posted on Vermont Craigslist recently. They are looking for a re-homing fee but does not say how much. Just wanted to let you know.

Great! Do you have a link?

I am still in the VT/New England market for peachicks this season!

The post for the white peacock in Brattleboro was made on 2/14. The post has not been deleted so it might still be available. Just Google Craigslist Vermont and you should be able to find it. When you are on the page type peacock into the search bar and it will take you to the post. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom