Who should I hatch??

Does your Ameraucana lay blue eggs? If so, crossing her with your Orp rooster should give you some pretty green ones.
Yes, she does! 😍 I’ve got a blue egg under her, 2 RIR eggs, a BCM egg, and an OE egg under her right now. The OE egg is her own, I’m pretty sure. I *think* she laid it just before going broody. It had been in the fridge for about 18 hours though so I doubt it will hatch but I read some success stories so figured I’d give it a shot! I just thought it would be fun to see her own little chick. She’s a big beautiful light grey mama. Excited to see what comes of it all!

Yes, she does! 😍 I’ve got a blue egg under her, 2 RIR eggs, a BCM egg, and an OE egg under her right now. The OE egg is her own, I’m pretty sure. I *think* she laid it just before going broody. It had been in the fridge for about 18 hours though so I doubt it will hatch but I read some success stories so figured I’d give it a shot! I just thought it would be fun to see her own little chick. She’s a big beautiful light grey mama. Excited to see what comes of it all!
Supposedly, refrigerating eggs doesn't necessarily count them out, especially if they haven't been washed. Definitely wanting to see how the hatch goes!

Mr. Carson, Blanche, and the most beautiful clutch! 2 BCM, 2 RIR, 2 OE, and an Ameraucana.

Attachments

• 9494EA7E-651B-4180-AB14-197A07759DA6.jpeg
    9494EA7E-651B-4180-AB14-197A07759DA6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 258FF70E-223D-422D-84CE-7BB96665C975.jpeg
    258FF70E-223D-422D-84CE-7BB96665C975.jpeg
    664.3 KB · Views: 5
  • A5C95A89-1FF3-4A97-9649-A2EE6BE6C9DB.jpeg
    A5C95A89-1FF3-4A97-9649-A2EE6BE6C9DB.jpeg
    954.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3AACCB09-AE3D-401A-97C8-125D98C16604.jpeg
    3AACCB09-AE3D-401A-97C8-125D98C16604.jpeg
    888 KB · Views: 5
I got antsy and tried candling some eggs tonight but I can only see through the light brown ones (one of which I’m certain was fertilized! 😁🤗). But I cannot see anything through the blue or the dark brown eggs. Not even the light. Am I doing something wrong? Just need to wait and see what happens?

I’ve got my first broody and we are leaning toward letting her hatch some eggs since we have a predator issue and free range dawn to dusk. My rooster is a Lavender Orpington. My broody is an OE. My current layers are RIR, Ameraucana, EE, OE, and BCM. Who should I hatch? I plan to learn about breeding and genetics but wasn’t planning on having to do it this soon! But here we are! Help me get started!
Is your Ameraucana a true or EE? What color? Orpington/Ameraucana chickens are super adorable. Bigger, fluffier, bearded Ameraucana looking EEs. I love them—and their eggs would likely be a pretty teal blue green color which is fun :) that’s my vote 😁

I got antsy and tried candling some eggs tonight but I can only see through the light brown ones (one of which I’m certain was fertilized! 😁🤗). But I cannot see anything through the blue or the dark brown eggs. Not even the light. Am I doing something wrong? Just need to wait and see what happens?
You're not doing it wrong. Those are just really hard colors to see thru when candling! I had luck with some super light blue ones, but the gorgeous colors you have are gonna be too thick to use typical candler lights to see veins. It sucks not knowing! 😆

I’ve got my first broody and we are leaning toward letting her hatch some eggs since we have a predator issue and free range dawn to dusk. My rooster is a Lavender Orpington. My broody is an OE. My current layers are RIR, Ameraucana, EE, OE, and BCM. Who should I hatch? I plan to learn about breeding and genetics but wasn’t planning on having to do it this soon! But here we are! Help me get started!
If it's her first time to be broody, I would just give her some eggs to see how good of a sitter and mother she is going to be first.

Tomorrow is the day!!!! 😁 If they don’t hatch, I plan to get a few chicks from the farm store and slip under her. How long do I give the eggs before tossing them and getting other chicks? I can’t candle most of them.

Back
Top Bottom