Who should I introduce first???

It certainly can be.
The only time I was attacked by a cockbird that's exactly what he did.
He was in a coop by himself, he turned sideways dropped his wing tapped his feet and came at me.
Thanks, that's good to know. I would certainly be concerned if a cockerel or rooster danced at me, but are you saying it can be a sign of aggression if he's doing it at hens or pullets?

Thanks, that's good to know. I would certainly be concerned if a cockerel or rooster danced at me, but are you saying it can be a sign of aggression if he's doing it at hens or pullets?
IMO, it's a sign of dominance, for mating hens and attacking others.

Hi all! Sorry, I wasn't checking on this post and I didn't realize there were more replies!

@RedwoodCoastChick @aart

So the current size of the main coop is 4x8, with a run that is 8x12. I am going to expand the run to 12x20 when I put them all together. They each have their own feeders and waterers currently, so I am going to have three separate feeding/watering stations in the 12x20 run. I'm going to put three or four hay bales in the run and add lots of vertical space by using branches and DIY perches.

Right now they do each have their own coop, the rooster and hens are currently in the main 4x8 coop, and the other two groups have 4x4 "house-shaped" coops with 8x8 runs. And all the pens have their own doors to free range.

@NatJ If the rooster and hens are already in the main coop, should I still move them to a temporary pen so the pullets can get used to the main coop? I assume yes, but I thought I would ask!

@aart @BigBlueHen53 Thanks for commenting about the wing dance! I'm sure he is eager to mate, but he was also trying to peck the hens through the fence, so I think they definitely need some time 😂

@fuzzi I will definitely be back with some updates!

@NatJ If the rooster and hens are already in the main coop, should I still move them to a temporary pen so the pullets can get used to the main coop? I assume yes, but I thought I would ask!
Yes, I probably would do that.
You could also swap around to give the other hens some time in the main coop too.
That way each group will know what is where, and can feel somewhat comfortable in it.

With just one group at a time in the main coop & run, they have time to explore and find the food and water and roosts and hiding places, without being chased or dealing with the pecking order at the same time. Knowing what is where can help them later, when they are sorting out the pecking order and trying to all live together.

Keep us posted, it will be fun to see how this all develops!
I've got an update!

I introduced all the chickens to each other two days ago, and it went off without a hitch! They are doing great. My rooster immediately started showing off for the older hens, and they started following him around immediately. It seems like they could care less about the pullets, they are mostly ignored. No chasing or pecking!

The rooster currently sleeps alone in the main coop, and the hens and pullets all sleep together in one of the temporary coops now, by choice. I'm hoping they will gravitate to the big coop in their own time, but I will move them there if I have to. 🙂 I've seen them exploring in the main coop, and the rooster calls them in to check it out everyday. 👍

Thank you guys for all of your advice! 🙏

Back
Top Bottom