Who skins their birds?

Chicken tacos, chicken casserole, and stir fries are some of the more common canned chicken meals around here.

You can make a stir-fry with precooked meat in broth? How does it brown? And what do you do with the broth?

I can kinda see the tacos -- especially if there are recipes for canning it in the sauce already so you don't end up having to dump a lot of broth -- but it would never in a million years have crossed my mind to do a stir-fry with precooked meat. :D

I cook almost everything from scratch -- barring occasional use of boxes mac and cheese or mashed potato flakes and the fact that Classico makes just as good a spaghetti sauce as I do and doesn't cost any more then buying all the ingredient for a good sauce plus the value of my time. Therefore I have very little experience with any form of convenience food.

You can make a stir-fry with precooked meat in broth? How does it brown? And what do you do with the broth?

I can kinda see the tacos -- especially if there are recipes for canning it in the sauce already so you don't end up having to dump a lot of broth -- but it would never in a million years have crossed my mind to do a stir-fry with precooked meat. :D

I cook almost everything from scratch -- barring occasional use of boxes mac and cheese or mashed potato flakes and the fact that Classico makes just as good a spaghetti sauce as I do and doesn't cost any more then buying all the ingredient for a good sauce plus the value of my time. Therefore I have very little experience with any form of convenience food.
there is minimal broth. I fill the cans up with shredded meat, leaving a half inch of headspace. then just pour broth around the meat. 10 mins or so in a pan and that juice cooks off and the meat starts to brown. And oooh girl that Classico comment hurts my little italian heart, but to each their own :)

Stirfry often used leftovers from other meals, or things you didn't have enough of to make a meal out of, all combined into a staple base (rice in the case of stir fry, but it could as easily be the egg of a fritatta, the dough of a French panade, or the Italian stuffed bread
recipes that look like the leavings and crumbs of a deli counter were baked in).

and there's a Chinese trick involving baking soda and water to promote browning - it works for cooked meats, as well as raw.

Broth best reserved for stews, soups, stocks, and gravies. When making tacos, enchilladas, etc, warmed broth can be used as the liquid to soften your dried chilis before they are ground into a paste and cooked down to concentrate flavors (in which case, be certain NOT to add salt till you are near the desired thickness!)

/edit also skipping past the Classico comment ;)

I love to cook and. serve food that I have grown, and have canned for years. I work full time, and sometimes just need a quick meal. And one of the few quick meals my husband liked is chicken and dumplings.

I did these in quart jars, about half filled with meat, added broth to the 1 inch line. At cooking time, I will add carrots, onion, parsley and homemade noodles for soup or peppers and dumplings.

We do eat a lot of soup with homemade bread. I even make cold cucumber soup in the summer and serve it with beef sandwiches.

I love to cook, have a large family and am happiest when my table is at it's longest and the big pots are on the stove.

I will also can up the broth... will probably have close to 15 pints.

Is it cheaper? I have all the stuff and I use it every year. It is my hobby and my pride and joy.

Mrs K

I love to cook and. serve food that I have grown, and have canned for years. I work full time, and sometimes just need a quick meal. And one of the few quick meals my husband liked is chicken and dumplings.

I did these in quart jars, about half filled with meat, added broth to the 1 inch line. At cooking time, I will add carrots, onion, parsley and homemade noodles for soup or peppers and dumplings.

We do eat a lot of soup with homemade bread. I even make cold cucumber soup in the summer and serve it with beef sandwiches.

I love to cook, have a large family and am happiest when my table is at it's longest and the big pots are on the stove.

I will also can up the broth... will probably have close to 15 pints.

Is it cheaper? I have all the stuff and I use it every year. It is my hobby and my pride and joy.

Mrs K
YES HENNY

@U_Stormcrow (you said we could, haha)

As for age, I once did a 6 month old mutt, and pressure cooking did nothing, the dog wouldn't eat it.

These were not quite 16 weeks, closer to 15... they were a little harder to get the coat off, than when I did some at 12 weeks. AArt says 16 weeks, and Ridgerunner I think waits until 20.

But I am not a fan of layer breeds as fried chicken. Mine are for casseroles and soups. It tasted good, and I think will hold up to canning, but I don't think I would want to go longer.

Mrs K

10 mins or so in a pan and that juice cooks off and the meat starts to brown.

Good to know that it's possible.

And oooh girl that Classico comment hurts my little italian heart, but to each their own

At least I'm using the good stuff rather than the cheap junk. ;)

Broth best reserved for stews, soups, stocks, and gravies.

I do freeze chicken stock -- made double-strong in the crockpot. https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-stock-219819

It's kind of a by-product though. I just don't cook enough wet things to need a tremendous amount.

I guess it comes down to just not eating much soup/stew.

My go-to quick meals for after 8 hours on my feet on a busy shift are pork chops in the skillet with whatever frozen vegetable my hand lands on when I open the freezer or baked chicken parts that cook in the oven while I put my feet up. :)

Chicken and dumplings is another of those winter-only things for us -- though because we're PA Germans using chicken instead of ham is an innovation we only tried after moving south. ;)

We *did* find an acceptable frozen dumpling but the store stopped carrying them. Thus it's a major operation to make the dumplings.

If I can find a pasta machine at a thrift store (difficult because polyclay crafters snap them up), I'll try making my own egg noodles sometime.

Good to know that it's possible.

At least I'm using the good stuff rather than the cheap junk. ;)

I do freeze chicken stock -- made double-strong in the crockpot. https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-stock-219819

It's kind of a by-product though. I just don't cook enough wet things to need a tremendous amount.

I guess it comes down to just not eating much soup/stew.

My go-to quick meals for after 8 hours on my feet on a busy shift are pork chops in the skillet with whatever frozen vegetable my hand lands on when I open the freezer or baked chicken parts that cook in the oven while I put my feet up. :)

Chicken and dumplings is another of those winter-only things for us -- though because we're PA Germans using chicken instead of ham is an innovation we only tried after moving south. ;)

We *did* find an acceptable frozen dumpling but the store stopped carrying them. Thus it's a major operation to make the dumplings.

If I can find a pasta machine at a thrift store (difficult because polyclay crafters snap them up), I'll try making my own egg noodles sometime.

you will love homemade egg noodles. Very easy to make, the dough freezes well. On that subject, so do dumplings - if you have the space, its similar time investment to make a double or triple batch, then bag and freeze the excess.

Your basic egg pasta recipe is 3 2 1. 3 Eggs, 2 cups Flour, 1 Tbsp Oil (pinch of salt)

I just roll my noodles out on the counter with a rolling pin. Old Ma Barta was famous for her noodle, and it was said she rolled them so thin that you could read the paper through them. I did it one time like that, and no one thought they were home made.

I just use a biscuit recipe for my dumplings, instead of baking, just drop it on the boiling liquid.

We do eat a lot of soup, but I have met people like you, that seldom eat soup. To each his own way.

Back
Top Bottom