Who stocks up for storms?

Hurricanes are a fact of life here in southeast Texas. I guess I just have that mentality. I keep 20 pounds of flour in the freezer because bread is the first thing to fly off the shelves. In hurricane Rita, 3 weeks after the infamous Katrina, we had 15+ people in our house. I reached back 20 years in the cobwebs of my memory and made flour tortillas. Hungry hands snatched them right out of the skillet. The tortillas were a big hit. I always make several pans of brownies for comfort snacks. We always have a full pantry and freezer. When your freezer is thawing out, every one eats real good. LOL Even running a generator is not always feasible because of limited supplies of gasoline. We buy new plastic trash cans with lids and fill with water and put them on the porch. I fill pots, pans and containers of all kinds with water.

I leave my horses loose so they can choose where to shelter from the storm. They can choose the barn, woods or open pasture. They choose the open pasture.

A battery operated weather radio is a marvelous link with the outside world. Have a cell "text" friend somewhere out of the storm area and also have a car charger for your cell phone. A text friend can watch the news and let you know what is going on. A text will go through when a call will not.

Camping equipment is helpful. I also keep kerosene lamps, kitchen matches, wicks and I've had the same 5 gallon jug of kerosene for years. I know where the matches and candles are and can find them in pitch blackness.

A chainsaw for cutting trees off your or neighbor's homes are necessary. Have a gas can full of premixed fuel. Tarps and plastic are for covering damage to your home.

Have plenty of feed for animals as you might not be able to go to the feed store and the feed store might not be able to recieve any shipments.

If you live in low lying areas--EVACUATE. Rising dirty nasty water is not a good way to die. 'nuff said.

We did stock up for the storm more for the animals. I am on my 6th day without power so having to go to the shelter in town to haul water for the animals. I have been told by the power company to expect at least another week without power. Finally Mcdonalds got power so I can go online or a little down time on the computer!!!!

Winter storms. You never know how long it will be before the city plows you out. On really bad blizzards, it can take up to 5-7 days to plow. It happened in 1992 with the October blizzard. We stock up on food. We make sure we have enough milk, Bisquick, syrup, meat, and bread. Ice storms are pretty bad too. Last year a blizzard took our power out for 3 nights. We sent the kids to their grandparents, while hubby and I stayed home making sure the house pipes didn't freeze. It was very cold inside the house.

hide.gif
when does stocking up become hoarding? Having a least one true as-seen-tv hoarder in the bloodline, I want to make sure I don't cross the line.

Back
Top Bottom